Monday, January 30, 2012

Spinach Triangles


  Making these triangles involved  the local EMS team.... I had gathered the ingredients on the counter and got busy chopping and mincing . I should also mention that I had just sharpened all the knives a few days earlier and they WERE SHARP. I was  chopping up spinach a bit to fast and sliced off  a bit more than the tip  of my thumb. To make a long story short, the EMS  guys showed up and it took two weeks to have a fully functioning thumb that still a bit numb on the sides.

After the EMS guys left , I continued to proceed with the recipe with a bandaged and throbbing thumb. I must say, these were the best spinach triangles that I have had - maybe it was the addition of herbs or the grated Parmesan cheese or maybe I was just delirious from the pain.....



One needs to work gently and fast with phyllo dough. Thaw it in the fridge overnight. I unrolled   and placed it on a cookie sheet with a wet towel  (that has been squeezed dry) on top. The top few sheets usually turn out a bit too wet to use.

These triangles are also handy to be made in advance and frozen  in a single layer in a ziploc bag. Bake in a preheated oven - 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or till golden brown. Don't forget to brush the triangles with melted butter prior to baking. Serve immediately as it tends to lose its crunch. Also great for a light lunch with a side of salad or soup.


Spinach Triangles  - New York Times Cookbook
 1 pound spinach
1 1/2 tb olive oil
2 tb butter
2 cups chopped onions
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup chopped scallions
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 chopped dill
1/3 cup chopped parsley
1 large egg
 1 egg yolk
salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 cup nuts
12 phyllo pastry
6 tb melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rinse and chop spinach. If using frozen spinach, thaw and squeeze out excess water.

Heat oil in a large skillet  and saute spinach until wilted.  Drain cooked spinach in a colander and press out excess moisture with the back of a spoon.  Melt butter in the same skillet on medium heat and saute onions, garlic, scallions until it starts to turn golden. Transfer mixture to a bowl to cool. Add spinach, feta cheese, dill, parsley to the cooled onion mixture. Beat egg, yolk and add to spinach mixture . Add in salt, pepper and pine nuts.

I used two sheets of phyllo for three spinach triangles. Smooth out  a phyllo sheet, brush with  melted butter, cover it with a second phyllo sheet , brush again with melted butter, cut to three length wise ( or two if you want bigger triangles) . Add a heaped teaspoon  ( or tablespoon for bigger ones) of spinach filling and fold it to a triangle. Place of a tray and cover triangles with a wet towel or cling wrap.  Brush triangles with melted butter and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until brown. Serve immediately.


6 comments:

Denise said...

I love the combination of spinach and tangy cheese, especially with a crunchy outside. Looks lovely!

Maya said...

Thanks Denise!

this single spark said...

Ugh. That story still makes me feel queasy!

Triangles look great, though. Will attempt before I get my knives sharpened. :]

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! You can also buy very similar ones from Costco and they are very delicious- quick and easy!

MyFudo™ said...

I love fish triangles, but I think I will adore this spinach triangle recipe that you posted. Healthy and delicious - that is my kind of dish. Great!

Maya said...

This single spark - i chop much slower now :)

Anonymous - that works in a pinch!!

My Fudo - I like the sound of fish triangles!