Monday, January 10, 2011

Baked crab cakes with creamy chilli sauce


It seems that I always order crab cakes at restaurants only to be disappointed by doughy pucks of breadcrumbs. It happens every time I see it on the menu......can't help myself. I am always hopeful that one day I will come across at least half decent crab cake.


It was gently suggested by my significant other that maybe I should just make my own. Sure, I have done it before but this time I decided to make it a bit easier on myself and decided to bake the crabcakes instead. The mixture can be made in advance, placed in the fridge and baked when dinner time comes around . Even the spicy sauce ( mayo based) can be made a day ahead, just bring it to room temperature before serving. I tossed a simple spinach salad with some pine nuts with the crab cakes and it was a satisfying meal. This recipe makes 6 good sized patties.


Baked crab cakes with creamy chili sauce
1 lb crab meat
1/2 cup mayo
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp sambal oelek
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tb Dijon mustard

extra breadcrumbs for coating the crabcakes before baking.

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate up to 3 hrs.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Form chilled mixture into medium sized patties and dredge in breadcrumbs. You could make them smaller if you wish.
Place crabcakes on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or until tops are golden. Serve with spicy sauce. Makes 6 good sized patties

Creamy chilli sauce:
5 tb mayo
1 tb heavy cream
salt to taste
1 tb sambal oelek ( I used 2 tb)
1 tsp lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon

Mix all ingredients. Serve with crab cakes.

8 comments:

Priti said...

That's looks one yummy platter...

mShachi said...

Looks yummy!!!

tigerfish said...

We are sure that when it's homemade, we are never stingy with the crabmeat in the cake!

Retno Prihadana said...

love it very much.

Jen (Tastes of Home) said...

I always like ordering crab cakes too! Love how your version looks, and love the fact that is ia baked :D

Esi said...

I love the creamy chili sauce. I need to experiment with baked crab cakes...once I get a working oven.

pigpigscorner said...

Crab cakes are not popular here in the UK, I've only learnt about it from watching tv shows. I should try making some myself! Looks and sounds delicious.

Eomniscient said...

Thanks for a great healthy low fat recipe
Low Fat, Easy weight loss tips