Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chocolate and coconut bars




Sweetened condensed milk is made by removing the water from milk and adding sugar to it. I used to sneak it from the fridge and drizzle the cold thick sweet milk on warm toast for a quick snack when my mom was occupied by her orchids in the garden. Many years later (after I moved from home) I confessed my secret indulgence to my mother one day while we were enjoying curry puffs and Malaysian style teh tarik ( pulled tea). She smiled brightly and said she figured that out long time ago. I always have at least a can of it in my pantry as it is an important ingredient for my morning coffee - just the way my parents enjoyed theirs.

The cookie crust for this bar is moist and chewy. The nut studded chocolate filling is rich and reminds one of a candy bar. You won't be able to stop at one :)

Chocolate and coconut bars
1 cup butter ( reserve 2 tb for the chocolate layer)
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour -sifted
1/2 cup sweetened coconut
3 cups all purpose oats
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 14 oz condensed milk
2 tsp vanilla extract ( for filling)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts


Cookie layer - Cream butter, salt, vanilla extract and brown sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in eggs until well combined. Stop mixer and scrape down the bowl and turn on the mixer again.
Stir in sifted all purpose flour, sweetened coconut and oats.


Make filling - melt 2 tablespoon butter, condensed milk, and chocolate pieces on low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Stir in chopped walnuts and vanilla extract.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Press 2/3 of the cookie layer in a 15 by 10 inch pan lined with parchment paper. If you use a smaller pan the bar will be thicker. Pour over chocolate filling evenly and sprinkle 1/3 of cookie dough over it. Bake for 25 to 3 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into bars.

14 comments:

Peter M said...

I've bookmarked this treat. It's one of those snacks that can be whipped up in no time and perfect for kids and adults alike.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

Chocolate and coconut combination, sound interesting, never try to do this before, must try one day. Thanks for sharing.

Parita said...

Stunning pictures! I could grab few right now :)

Barbarr said...

Heavenly recipe. My dad used to spread condensed milk on his toast and in his coffee every morning.

Love this chocolate, coconut and condensed milk bar. Everything good in one little package. Got to make certain company is coming when I make them so I don't sit and eat every one!

Jo said...

Maya, you are making me drool already. Chocolate and coconut, what a great combination.

lululu said...

very good looking bars. perfect combination of chocolate and coconut.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Oh my goodness. Those look like a little piece of heaven. I adore condensed milk. Thsi is one to try.Lovely pictures too

Gala said...

They sound delicious!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

I love condensed milk too! These look really scrumptious!

Tangled Noodle said...

I'm still not over my coconut love affair; adding chocolate just makes it even more intense! 8-) These look positively scrumptious.

Sushma Mallya said...

beautiful bars,loved the combo...and thanks for dropping by maya...

zurin said...

mmmmm it sounds so good and looks beautiful Maya! its a keeper for sure :)

vickys said...

I loove condensed milk. It makes everything tastes better, like tea, coffee, cake,...just a smidgen and it lifts flavours! :) I love a good recipe that manages to bring back memories of happy days when we were littler.

Juliana said...

Maya, these bars sure look delicious...chocolate and coconut, it is a win win combination :-) yummie!