Monday, January 11, 2010

Claypot Chicken Rice


There was this famous place in Klang that I would frequent on a monthly basis with friends to indulge in claypot specialties. It was a non descritp food stall located at the food court of Parkson Grand Mall off Jalan Meru and they had the best claypot chicken rice and claypot noodles around. It's been years since I have been back to the food stall at Parkson Grand but did manage to enjoy some claypot chicken rice for brunch at another restaurant located opposite PJ Old Town Market off Jln Othman when I was home more than a month ago.

I have been looking for a claypot and finally found it (a fairly inexpensive one) at Pearl River in Soho . Chinese sausage is also known as lapchong or la chang and is made from fatty pork . These sausages are dried and will last for weeks in the fridge or for months in the freezer. Chinese wine used in this recipe is Shaoxing cooking wine which is made of rice and the aroma is similar to sake which is an acceptable substitute ( or skip it all together, I have made this dish without wine and it was still delicious). This dish can also be made by layering cooked rice and marinated chicken in a casserole and bake covered in the oven at 350 degrees for 3/4 hour, or until chicken pieces are cooked.

Claypot ChickenRice

Marinade for chicken:

3 tb oyster sauce

1 tb light soy sauce

1 tb cooking wine

1 tsp sesame oil

1 tsp dark soy sauce

1 tsp sugar

½ tsp freshly ground black pepper

1 tb corn starch

Mix all ingredients together and pour over chicken. Mix well. Spread mixture on rice when rice is half cooked.

Rice:

11/2 cup long grained white rice

chicken stock

half of a chicken, cut into bite sizes

1 chinese sausage, sliced

6 dried shiitake mushroom, soaked and sliced

2 inches of ginger, cut into 4 pieces

2 spring onion,sliced

Cook rice with the chicken stock and ginger pieces in a rice cooker or a claypot. If using unglazed claypot, soak it in water for 20 - 30 minutes. Wipe dry and proceed with recipe using low heat. When rice is half cooked, add marinated chicken pieces, Chinese sausage and sliced mushrooms. Cover and cook till chicken is done. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve. I like to serve mine with some hot sauce.

19 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Maya, Brazilians love rice and I'm no exception - what a delicious dish!

figtree said...

I always wanted to try claypot cooking, now you convinced me to buy one!!!!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

your claypot chicken rice look so good.

zurin said...

That looks good Maya! I love claypot chkn rice. :))

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

This looks wonderful cooked in the claypot Maya! Very delicious!

Barbara said...

I do love Pearl River. I could spend hours in there when I am visiting my daughter!
The claypot chicken looks divine! I've never cooked in a clay pot and I'd love to try.
I keep thinking about a tangine- which is also clay. Could you make this in that?

Jo said...

Oh my gosh! This looks really, really good and giving me cravings already. Time to take out my claypot ....

All Things Considered said...

that looks delicious!! I want to try the recipe sometime!

Dodol & Mochi said...

Hey, I also made this when I was in the States! The craving was a severe case ... Luckily, I wasn't hospitalized for that ...

Great job in recreating the classic! I think I'm so, so gonna try remake it even though I'm back in KL now ... Thanks for the inspiration!

Pei-Lin

3 hungry tummies said...

This is my favourite childhood dish!! It looks great!

pigpigscorner said...

I miss this! always so comforting...

Tangled Noodle said...

I bought a clay pot last year and still haven't used it! This is just the recipe that should kickstart my claypot cooking for 2010. 8-)

babe_kl said...

claypot chicken rice is absolutely hot stuff!

btw hope it's not too late to wish you a happy new year :D

Cynthia said...

You make me want to get a claypot just to make this dish.

Juliana said...

Wow, I love the flavor of this rice dish...cooked in the claypot, great for the cold weather :-)

Maya said...

Patricia - thanks!!

figtree - it such a good investment.
Sonia - Thanks!!
zurin - I love it - it always reminds me of home.
Reeni - thank you!!

Barbara - I always ending buy more than what I need at Pearl River :)You could try it with a tagine...I have not made this dish with a tagine, let me know if you do.

Maya said...

Jo - yup!
all things considered - you couls try this recipe in a slow cooker - will have to a bit of water.

Pei Lin - You are lucky - can have enjoy this dish anytime!!

Thanks hungry tummies.
pigpigscorner - Me too, i miss all those hawker specialties back home.

Good luck Tangled Noodle.
babe in kl - Happy New Year to you too!!! New year all through January ;)

Cynthia - thank you!!

Salt N Turmeric said...

Im so gonna try this recipe. I made once before but it didn't turn out good.

p.s. did you get my reply?

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/weathercom/298713874092l]www.weather.com[/url]