Monday, December 14, 2009

Coconut scones with homemade raspberry jam



These hearty scones flecked with sweetened coconut are wonderful treats in the morning, warm straight out of the oven and accompanied by a steaming mug of sweetened coffee ( that is how I like my coffee). It is the perfect antidote to a rainy winter morning. I made large dimples on the scones so that each wedge will have its own generous dallop of thick raspberry jam that I made using local raspberries that were abundant in the farmers' market this past summer.

I've used unbleached flour here instead of bleached flour. Unbleached flour basically means ground wheat flour that is not oxidized and treated with chemicals during processing. Oxidation can alter the gluten proteins in wheat flour and there is much debate about the safety of some of the chemicals used in this process . Unbleached flour has a nutty flavour and the golden hue is especially appealing in scones, muffins and breads.

Coconut Scones with Homemade Raspberry Jam
1 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
3 tb sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cold butter cut into cubes
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
raspberry jam /jam of your choice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Sift flour and place in a large bowl. Add coconut, salt, sugar, oats and baking powder and stir until well combined. Add cubed cold butter to flour and cut into the flour with a pastry blender or a fork until it looks like little pebbles. Alternately this process can be done in a food processor.

Using a little bowl, beat eggs and milk together. Reserve 1 tablespoon. Make a well in the middle of the bowl of the flour mixture and pour in milk-egg mixture. Mix until just combined with a fork.

Pat dough on a parchment paper lined baking sheet into an 8 inch round. Cut into 8 wedges and brush the top with milk-egg mixture. Make a a depression on each wedge and fill with jam of your choice.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Recut scones and serve.

12 comments:

Sonia said...

Thanks for sharing, this look great.

marla (Family Fresh Cooking) said...

Love what you have done with these scones! So great that you could use the raspberries from the summer, I like the thumbprint idea. It adds something both small and big to this recipe! Not quite sure why folks would use that bleached stuff!

Eat My Tortes said...

MMmmmm. I really love scones and raspberry jam is my absolute favorite. Well done!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I haven't baked scones in ages, Maya - these are wonderful! I cannot resist anything with raspberry jam, especially homemade! Yum!

Jo said...

Yummy and a very English tea-time treat.

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

I bet these are really delicious - especially with your home-made jam! I agree about the unbleached flour - it's all I use.

pigpigscorner said...

Great idea adding coconut! I think I can smell it from here!

Karine said...

Your scones look delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

tracieMoo said...

coconut must have give the scones a great kick to the nice fragrance! I love this recipe. Thankyou for sharing the recipe!

Food For Tots said...

What a co-incidence! I made scones too. Yours looks so much better and healthier! I love the combination you used. Must try it out soon.;)

Anonymous said...

閒來無聊逛逛blog~~跟您打聲招呼~~..................................................

Cynthia said...

I love scones.
I love coconuts.
I will definitely be trying this.