Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Red Snapper In Sweet & Sour Sauce

Fish with sweet & sour sauce is wildly popular in most Malaysian restaurants. It is almost always made with seafood ( there are variations made with boneless chicken). I had this dish made with crabs a few days ago at Green View Restaurant in Petaling Jaya. Steaming the fish would be another option is you are not inclined to heat a wok full of oil.

I have used red snapper for this recipe but any firm fleshed fish would work here. Black pomfret is popular fish of choice for this dish in Malaysia. Don't be alarmed by the use of ketchup/tomato sauce in this recipe. It is an essential ingredient for sweet sour sauce.



Red Snapper In Sweet & Sour Sauce
Fish:
1 whole red snapper
1/4 cup corn flour
salt
oil - for shallow frying

Sauce:
2 tb ketchup/tomato sauce
3 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
2 cloves garlic - sliced
2 tb julienned ginger
1 tb hoisin sauce
1/2 cup water
2 scallion - julienned
1 1/2 tb vegetable oil
1/2 red bell pepper - julienned


Clean fish and pat dry. Sprinkle salt and lightly dust whole fish with corn flour.
Heat oil in a large saute pan and shallow fry fish on both sides until golden brown.
Remove fish from pan/wok and set on a platter.

Heat oil for sauce and saute sliced garlic and ginger until golden brown. Pour in water, hoisin sauce, tomato sauce/ketchup, sugar and vinegar. Adjust seasonings and add salt as needed. Add in julienned red pepper and cook on high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Pour sauce over fish and scatter scallions. Serve immediately. This dish goes well with steamed rice, tofu with garlic chives and bok choy with shiitake mushrooms.

15 comments:

Mochachocolata Rita said...

love this dish but i am too lazy to fry anything T_T...i'll just have this when i dine out instead ;)

Ksenia said...

I don't eat fish, but the sauce recipe sounds great! :D

I agree: other sites are a good source of inspiration. The problem is that for the last two month I have been reading mainly textbooks xD But when I want to relax a little, surfing the net (and looking for new recipes)is my favorite pastime :) Have you ever thought about the huge amount of information that exist in internet and that grows every day? It's endless! :O

Personally, I wouldn't be able to survive without it xD

Esi said...

I love red snapper! My mom is usually the one who cooks it for me, but I will have to pick some up and try this. I love the sweet and sour combo.

doggybloggy said...

I would tear that fish up - it looks so inviting - what flavors, wow!

B W said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B W said...

That fish was delish!
I can still taste it.
Hope the one in PJ was as good!
BW

Jo said...

I love fried fish and nothing better than in a sweet and sour sauce. Yum, double yum in fact!

S. said...

My dad LOVES red snapper. He usually eats it steamed or baked with Thai herbs and spices. This recipe sounds awesome, and I'm going to make it for him next time he comes over for a meal :)

Sweet and Savory said...

THe sauce sounds fantastic. I love sweet and sour fish. Could I use this on salmon?

Juliana said...

Oh! My mouth is watering at the recipe...love the sweet and sour combination of flavor...yummie!

farida said...

I love the taste of red snapper. With sauce on top it would be super delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

pigpigscorner said...

I miss this dish! I'm just too lazy to fry the fish...

Maya said...

Thanks for your comments :)

prashant said...

The problem is that for the last two month I have been reading mainly textbooks

Work From Home india

NyonyaChef said...

Very colorful and thanks for the recipe,...I am never good with fish.