Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Peaches , cuke & feta salad


Jersey peaches are in season. I have been having peaches almost everyday. They are great enjoyed just on their own, baked into pies , jams, and my personal fave - peach chutney that I make every year without fail.

When buying peaches make sure that they are not rock hard and personally, I like to take a whiff of a peach -if it smells like a ripe peach - it makes it in the basket. Try not to squeeze the fruit - it will bruise easily.

I really enjoy fruits in my salads and since I had some extra peaches in the fridge I decided that I would toss it in the salad. The dressing is simple, straightforward and not too strong and really lets the peaches shine.

Feta cheese is aged cheese that is salted and cured in a brine solution. It can be made from cow's milk or goat's milk. It is crumbly and great cut into blocks for salads. Feta can be soft, medium soft or hard. The taste of feta ranges from salty, mild to sharp. Store it in its brine until ready to use.

Peaches, cuke & feta salad
1 English cucumber
1 cup feta cheese - cubed
2 peaches - peeled and cubed
2 tb chopped chives
salt and black pepper
1 cup pitted olives

Dressing:
3 tb red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper

22 comments:

maybelle's mom said...

peaches are excellent with feta. in fact i adore peaches in all sorts of things. will you be posting that chutney recipe?

Pearl said...

oh yum! they look so incredible.

Esi said...

This is gorgeous! Perfect for summer and so light and refreshing.

Ksenia said...

I love mixing veggies and fruits too =D Some fruit in you salad can transform it in almost a gourmet dish!

I can survive without cheese, but it would be great to have more dairy alternatives =( Some times I don't feel like adding tofu everywhere, and vegan cheese is almost impossible to find here.

It's great to know that my post has been useful ^^

Mochachocolata Rita said...

yum! so perfectly summery!

Debbie said...

Looks delicious. I've been making lots of baked good with peaches. Love peaches.....

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That salad looks delicious and very flavorful! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anh said...

Beautiful fruity salad you have there!

tigerfish said...

That's so healthy!

Juliana said...

Yummie, peaches is salad sounds and looks delicious, very refreshing :-) nice picture!

Maya said...

maybelle's mom - I have will try to dig it out :)

Pearl - thank you!
Esi - It is - a big bowl of this all I need for dinner.

Ksenia - vegan cheese? Is it same as soy cheese?

Maya said...

Mochachocolata Rita - Summery - true but in reality we have had a terrible summer in New York..

Debbie - got to love the seasonal produce :)

Rosa- thanks!

Parita said...

Salad looks very colorful and i m sure must have tasted fantastic with salty feta and sweet peaches!

Food For Tots said...

Peaches are my favourite fruit. This salad looks so simple and healthy. Great for my tummy too! ;)

Janice said...

What a great salad! I love all the ingredients and I'm sure the peaches add sweetness to the dish.

Priti said...

Looks gud and simple...love it with lots of colours and your paneer looks so yummo

miss v said...

gorgeous picture!

Cynthia said...

What a beautiful, colour plate!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

I love feta cheese...
Awesome blog and awesome clicks...

Marta said...

Oh wow! What a great way to showcase peaches in season. They are in full swing here too and I'm just been eating so many of them... maybe I should save a few for this delicious salad!

mycookinghut said...

Love love love feta! This looks great!

Cuccee Sprouts (is in Cucumber Sprouts) said...

I like using feta in salads. You did a good job with this salad. I recently paired feta with watermelon - yum! Here is the recipe for you Chile-Roasted Feta and Watermelon Slab http://cuceesprouts.com/2010/10/chile-roasted-feta-and-watermelon-slab/