Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pancakes with Homemade Blueberry Sauce

I was craving pancakes for breakfast yesterday and a quick peek in the pantry showed that I had all the ingredients to make pancakes from scratch. Powdered buttermilk is a lifesaver - I don't have run to the store every time I need half a cup of it for some recipe and then leave the rest of the carton to languish at the back on the fridge only to pour it into the sink weeks later. I have heard that buttermilk keeps well in the freezer - have any of you tried it? Does it work?

I carefully measured all ingredients and made the batter. As I waited for the cast iron skillet to heat up I realized that I did not have any maple syrup for the pancakes. What I did have was a few pints of Jersey blueberries that were destined to be blueberry and ginger jam. I placed some blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and some of its zest in a pot, bring it all to a gentle simmer until the mixture started to thicken a bit. The leftovers will keep well in the fridge for at least a week. Try swirling some in your daily oatmeal breakfast or pour it over some cool and creamy vanilla ice cream - you'd love it :)

Quick Blueberry Sauce
2 1/2 cups fresh/ frozen blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
lemon zest
1/2 tb fresh lemon juice

Combine all ingredients and bring to a gentle simmer until thick for around 10 minutes.
Cool and refrigerate leftovers. Try swirling some leftovers in oatmeal porridge or pour over ice cream .

6 comments:

Q. said...

That is exactly how I would've prepared my plate of pancakes. Absolutely drenched in blueberry sauce. YUMMMMMY! "A little pancakes with my blueberries." Looks awesome.

Cinnamon Girl aka Reeni♥ said...

This is such a delightful treat with the fresh blueberry sauce!

Food For Tots said...

Your homemade blueberry sauce looks heaven! It really makes me craving for it now! Yummy!

The Little Teochew said...

Absolutely divine! Perfect!

Maya said...

Q - It is all about the berries aint'it :)

Cinnamon Girl - It is absolutely wonderful and it keep swell in the fridge.

Food for tots - Thanks!

little Teochew - You are too kind!

telesma said...

That looks great, and yes, buttermilk keeps great in the freezer. I pour one cup per ziploc freezer bag, squeeze the air out, and freeze laying flat. It's never lasted past 5-6 months without being used, so I don't know how it keeps after that.