Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cherry tomato salad with basil vinaigrette


I was cautiously happy when my tomato plants were laden with flowers and kept my fingers crossed. Then there were horror stories of fungus and blight outbreak that have cost tomato farmers thousands of dollars upstate New York. I waited patiently and am happy (and a bit guiltily) to report that they all made it - my Sweet 100 and Roma variety. The Sweet 100 just will not quit and we have been lucky enough to feast on them on daily basis. I even had enough to offer a little bag of these beauties to a colleague - he promptly made a fresh tomato salad with balsamic vinegar dressing for dinner last night to the delight of his significant other!


I have another large bowl of tomatoes waiting for me on the counter right now and hope to make a jam/chutney of some kind.... Here are some delectable recipes from other bloggers.

Tomato Jam from Todd & Diane
Smoked Tomato Salsa from Shauna
Portuguese Tomato Jam from David
Cuke & Tomato Salad from Kalyn


Basil Vinaigrette - adapted from Food & Wine
The original recipe recommends this as a dressing for panzanella, pasta, grilled fish or chicken.

1/4 olive oil
1 cup packed basil leaves - washed and dried
1 garlic clove
2 tb white balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients into a food processor. Process until smooth. Adjust seasonings. This is a thickish vinaigrette and keeps well in the fridge minus the oxidation. Bonus!!

5 comments:

Rhyleysgranny said...

My tomatoes are just starting to ripen. Exciting isn't it. I wish we could have them all year round. The flavour of home grown is so good.

Maya said...

Rhyleysgranny:
I wait for these tomatoes all year. Nothing quite like it!

Parita said...

Wow the salad looks so flavorful and easy to make, nice clicks

The Little Teochew said...

Beautiful!!! Love the vibrant colours!

Maya said...

Parita & little teochew - thanks!