Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mango & Passion Fruit Mess

I was at our local grocery store and saw that passion fruits were in season. This subtropical fruit is native to South America. The passion fruit is round to oval, yellow or dark purple at maturity, with a soft to firm, juicy interior filled with numerous seeds. The fruit can be eaten raw, made into juice, cocktails and desserts.



I recently came across this recipe in one of my favourite magazine and it is a nice twist to the more traditional rendition of the Eton Mess. Strawberries are usually the fruit of choice for this dessert . This version is a quick way to enjoy dessert especially with the help of Trader Joe's Vanilla Meringues. Whip, crush , chop, puree and you have dessert :)

Are you inclined to make this but not in the mood to whip up a batch of meringues? What is your favourite quick dessert? Leave a comment and I will pick one lucky person to send a batch of vanilla meringues ( Trader Joe's finest) .




Mango & Passion Fruit Mess - Delicious magazine
2 ripe mangoes
300 ml cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbs confectioner's sugar- sifted
6 medium meringues - crushed
4 passion fruits - pulp


Peel and chop one mango and set aside. Peel and puree the other mango in a blender till smooth and set aside.

Whip cream with pure vanilla extract and confectioner's sugar until thick and then add the crushed meringues.


To assemble:
Layer mango puree, crushed meringue and cream mixture and top with chopped mango and passion fruit pulp in a glass. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

22 comments:

Pearl said...

oh maya - love the bright colors and it looks delish!

Poornima Nair said...

Thats a mouth watering dessert...beautiful presentation.

tigerfish said...

I wish for this dessert now! I've just had dinner ;p

Esi said...

So colorful! I am not a huge dessert person (although I make them once in a while), but I love sweetened greek yogurt with berries...I have that for breakfast too!

Reeni♥ said...

Oh this is so pretty, fresh and vibrant looking. I bet it's delicious! My favorite quick dessert is jell-o vanilla pudding cups with sliced bananas, lots of cinnamon and whip cream.

Debbie said...

Oh so delicious looking...my favorite quick dessert is a muffin with some sweetened butter...yummmmm!

Arch said...

Looks lovely Maya...the flavours must taste amazingly good !!

Sara said...

I love passion fruit, this looks amazing! I rarely find fresh passion fruit, but I always have the puree in my freezer.

Marta said...

Maya this looks lovely, it actually caught my eye in TasteSpotting! I like that you used this fruit combo instead of strawberries. It just looks so vibrant and the tang and sweet flavours must be out of this works. I love the Eaton Mess taken to the tropics :)

Rhyleysgranny said...

It looks lovely. Clever you. A wonderful change from the usual strawberries. :)

Joy said...

Ohh Trader Joe's, how I miss you. I've moved to the South, and Joe just hasn't caught up with me yet. Sooooooon, I can only hope!!!
LOVE the recipe idea!

Nurit said...

This looks so tasty. I love passion fruit, it's one of my favorites (but so expensive...). The dessert looks gorgeous!

Tangled Noodle said...

I have never had fresh passion fruit before! Paired with my favorite, mango, this looks fantastic! I'm craving a mess right now.

Little Inbox said...

Oh, this must be really nice!

pigpigscorner said...

Love the colours! Wonderful mouth-watering pictures.

miss v said...

your meringues look so cute! me, i'm the lazy dessert girl. i chop up a banana, mush it in a bowl and throw in a few chocolate chips.

sometimes i'll heat it in the microwave for like 10 seconds to get the chocolate all melty. :)

Maya said...

Thank you all for your comments!!!

Food For Tots said...

I want some too! Looks so tempting! Great shot too!

Renuka said...

Wow..the deesert looks delicious Maya...wud love to slurp it..

Juliana said...

Love passion fruit, unfortunately it is very hard to find fresh ones here in Los Angeles area. Love the colors and the combination with mango...looks very summery.

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Oh, that looks delicious!

whilehewasout said...

This dessert could be perfect for a sensual date :) fresh and colourful, very nice pictures too!