Monday, May 4, 2009

Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake


It seems to be the tail end of blood orange season around here. The season usually kicks off with a blood orange costing around $1.99 ( at Whole Foods). Now it is 50 cents each at my local A & P. I could not resist the crimson fleshed beauties and knew exactly what I will be making with it once I returned home. I had came across this olive oil cake in the dining section of the New York Times and have been wanting to give it a try.



I adore stir and pour recipes for cakes. Don't get me wrong, I lurve my Kitchen Aid mixer but sometimes I just want a bowl and a sturdy whisk for my cake. Don't be fooled by the simplicity of this cake. The flavours seem to really come together the next day. The leftovers made my dear friend RR very happy! You could also give this Semolina Cake topped with Candied Blood Orange Slices a try!


Blood Orange and Olive Oil Cake - NT Times
I used a light tasting olive oil for this recipe.

3 blood oranges
1 cup granulated sugar
plain yogurt
3 large eggs
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup olive oil


Grease 9 by5 loaf pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and set aside.

Preparing blood oranges : Grate zest from 2 blood oranges and place in a bowl with granulated sugar. Mix well with a whisk.

Cut 2 oranges into segments ( remove the skin first) and chop into 1/4 inch pieces.

Juice the remaining orange and combine with yogurt to make it 2/3 cup of orange-yogurt liquid.

To make cake :
Mix orange-yogurt liquid and orange zest scented granulated sugar in a large bowl. Whisk in 3 large eggs until well combined. Whisk in dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Fold in olive oil a little at a time using a spatula. Lastly fold in chopped orange pieces.


Pour in prepared pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 55 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

22 comments:

Esi said...

I love blood oranges and the wonderful color they bring to food. This cake looks and sounds fantastic.

Pearl said...

oh the blood oranges add such a beautiful color!

Cynthia said...

Nice! I've never had a blood orange before.

Reeni♥ said...

These look so lovely!! That gorgeous color and the olive oil. I bet it made them nice and tender.

tigerfish said...

I like color too! Very enticing!

Arch said...

This looks really nice...orange and olive oil - sounds like a wonderful combination..I have some oranges lying around, going to give this a try very soon

miss v said...

your creations are always so beautiful. gorgeous pics!


liquid aminos adds nutrients to the dish... but i use it mostly because it gives a soy-sauce like flavourv (without all the sodium). it can make faux-meat or faux-cheese flavours really stand out.

RecipeGirl said...

Looks like a good way to use up blood oranges. I had some for the first time recently and ended up with sorbet. I've never put olive oil in a cake before!

Lori said...

These look delicious. I too like a one bowl mix once in a while. Its the simplicity. And then when your feeling more adventurous its time to break out the Kitchen Aid.

Sara said...

These are beautiful! I'm sure they taste great too. I've always wanted to make an olive oil cake.

Debbie said...

Oh does that ever look good. I love to make cakes with olive oil... I haven't made a blood orange cake though. I just have to try that now!

Kamran Siddiqi said...

I love blood oranges, and to have seen it made in such an innovative way, makes me want to make this recipe as soon as I can. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us!

Juliana said...

These little cakes are adorable...and looks delicious...the blood orange really give an extra color and flavor to it. Great pictures.

banana blossom said...

Hi Maya,

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love hearing from you and I appreciate your support.

Blood orange and olive oil are 2 of my favorite things. I will keep this recipe. Thanks for sharing. The cake looks delicious.

Pearl said...

Hi Maya - LOL oh those purple peanuts? we're just eating them as is :)

Maya said...

Hi Guys:

Thank you for your wonderful comments!

Nurit - 1fff said...

I love my mixer too, but then there are those days when I need a stir and pour recipe too.

Jude said...

Yikes. Whole Foods can be pretty hilarious sometimes. I'm sure it is worth it anyway, even more so at 50 cents.

Jo said...

Such a great recipe and the pictures are great. Makes me want to grab a couple right now.

Marta said...

Just wanted to let you know that I tried this and it came out grat! LOVE olive oil treats! So classy!

Chanel11 said...

Just made these - really yum.

Anonymous said...

Nice post! GA is also my biggest earning. However, it’s not a much.