Thursday, April 23, 2009

Sauteed Asparagus & Chickpeas With Bowtie Pasta


This is recipe was inspired by bunches of tender spring asparagus that are in grocery stores right now. Asparagus will be available from now till early summer. Look for firm spears with tight crowns and uniform in diameter to ensure uniform cooking time. You could substitute bowtie pasta with any other pasta shapes. Penne or orechiette would work well here. The asparagus can be blanched if you wish before proceeding with the recipe. In order to save time ( and dirtying yet another pot) I used a saute pan. Just pour in stock and cook the asparagus for 5 minutes ( or longer if you prefer ) before adding the rest of the ingredients.


Sauteed Asparagus & Chickpeas With Bowtie Pasta

1 bunch asparagus ( medium)
1/4 cup cubed pancetta ( optional)
1 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas ( 15 oz can)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chicken stock ( or vegetable stock)
2 cloves garlic - minced
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped basil
8 0z dried bowtie pasta -( 2 oz per serving)
1 tb olive oil

Wash and trim asparagus. Cut asparagus 2 inches in an angle and set aside.

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook bowtie pasta ( or pasta of your choice) according to instructions on the box. Drain ( save some of the pasta water) cooked pasta and set aside.

Using a large pan saute cubed pancetta on medium heat until lightly browned. Remove pancetta with slotted spoon and set aside. Pour olive oil to the pan and saute minced garlic until golden. Add in cut asparagus, stock, salt, black pepper and cooked chickpeas. Cook until asparagus is cooked but still firm. The vegetable will cook quickly - I cooked mine for around 5 minutes.

Add cooked pasta, browned pancetta and chopped basil to the pan and stir. Serve pasta sprinkled with grated Parmesan cheese. Makes 3 to 4 servings.

15 comments:

Debbie said...

That is my kind of dish. It looks wonderful. Had asparagus last night....

Poornima Nair said...

Wow..thats a great dish...looks so yummm.

Reeni♥ said...

This looks really delicious! I love the combo of ingredients!

Marta said...

This looks perfect for spring! The bowties look so festive adorned with the pancetta and asparagus... chickpeas have a special place in my heart, so anything with them is glorious to me!

Pearl said...

what a creative pasta dish!

doggybloggy said...

I have a lot of catching up to do if I am going to copy these delicious feasts

Tangled Noodle said...

Aaaaah-sparagus! I've already pegged the bunch I have for another preparation tonight but as a side dish. This asparagus pasta will be a full meal soon!

LittleBearsKitchen said...

Wow, that looks really good! I'll have to try it. Hubby loves asparagus and its always on sale these days. :)

Food For Tots said...

Asparagus & chickpeas are my son's favourite. I am sure it will be a great hit for my family. Tks for sharing!

Esi said...

This is a great spring dish. Looks colorful and flavorful.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Looks so lovely and fresh.

zerrin said...

I've never made such a combination. Looks fantastic and refreshing! I'm not sure I can easily find asparagus here, but will certainly look for it when I go to an open market next monday.

miss v said...

oooo! i really like this recipe - especially now that there is quality fresh asparagus to be had.

Arch said...

Great dish - never tried chick pea with pasta, always used it in indian recipes or a hummus...this one is a great idea...

Anonymous said...

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very
well written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely
return.
Check out my webpage ; DSL Anbieter