Saturday, April 18, 2009

Moo Ping - Skewered Marinated Pork with lemon Sauce



The grilling season has officially begun in our neighbourhood. The air has been filled with the tantalizing aroma of bbq for the past few days. Fear not if you do not own a bbq or live in apartment as this dish can be easily prepared using a stove top grill pan. The key here is to cube the meat approximately the same size and to allow enough time for it to marinate. This will ensure flavourful and succulent grilled meat everytime. I have suggested at least 2 hours in this recipe but usually I leave it overnight in the fridge. I have used pork for this recipe but I am sure that cubes of tofu or chicken will work here too.

The accompanying flavourful and spicy sauce can be made ahead. The flavour only gets better as it sits in the fridge. I have used cili padi/bird's eye chillies here as I was craving for some kick in my sauce. Cili padi/bird's eye chili is small and often resembles little padi rice hence the Malay name - cili padi. Use it sparingly as it is extremely spicy!

Grilled Meat
1lb lean meat cut into cubes- 3/4 inch cubes
1 tb finley chopped cilantro
2 tb fish sauce
1 1/2 tb brown sugar

1 tb light soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tb chili flakes- optional
12 satay skewers

Mix the marinade until all ingredients are dissolved and add in the cubed pork. Let the meat marinate for at least 2 hrs in the fridge. Heat the grill on medium high heat and cook skewers until meat is cooked through - 2 to3 minutes.

Sauce
1 tb fish sauce
2 tb fresh lemon juice
1 tb light soy sauce
1 tsp chilli flakes/ birds eye chillis
1 tb brown sugar
1 tb chopped cilantro

Make sauce while meat is marinating. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl . Refrigerate until ready to use. This sauce can be made ahead.




11 comments:

Sara said...

I want to start grilling soon, I think the weather is finally nice enough. This looks really delicious, great picture too!

Lo said...

We had gorgeous weather in WI today, so the idea of grilling is VERY appealing. But, even more than that, I love the idea of that lemon sauce. I'll bet it cuts nicely through the richness of the pork! Great work.

Esi said...

I need to dust off my grill soon! The weather has been amazing and it just asking to be used. These skewers look amazing. I just got some pork so maybe I can try this.

Pearl said...

what a great dish for the grill!

Jo said...

Oh yummy, such colours and flavours. Can I have some please ... pretty please??

Debbie said...

I love to grill. Food just tastes so much better cooked that way. Your skewers look wonderful!

Jude said...

This recipe is making my mouth water. That dipping sauce in particular -- may I have your permission to pilfer it?

Rasa Malaysia said...

I love all kinds of grilled meat on skewers, they are ever so good.

BTW, I sent you an email...:)

Brittany (He Cooks She Cooks) said...

The other night I was planning on making Thai pork kabobs with ground pork. I just happened to see your post on Tastespotting just before I started cooking, so I used your sauce recipe. The only difference was I used a fresh Fresno chili instead of chili flakes. It was perfect, thanks!

Ninette said...

Wow, this looks terrific. I just got a Big Green Egg grill and this will have to go on it!

tigerfish said...

Must be delicious :)