Sunday, February 15, 2009

Rajma Masala - Spicy Kidney Beans Curry


I enjoy cooking legumes and there is always a myriad of dried and canned legumes in my pantry.What makes legumes even better is that they come in a wonderful variety. Black beans, pinto beans, white kidney beans, brown lentils, chickpeas, black-eyed peas, soybeans. Each has a distinct flavor and texture that lends itself to different dishes and uses. Mashed chickpeas make wonderful hummus, lentils make lovely soups and stews, and black or pinto beans make up a delicious burrito.


While cooking dry beans can be all day affair, canned beans are a quick substitute. Just be sure to drain and rinse them, which helps lower the sodium content.

Rajma Masala
1 large can kidney beans (1lb)- drained and rinsed
1 large onion - minced
1 Tb ginger - minced
4 cloves of garlic - minced
1 Tb tomato paste
3 tomatoes - finely chopped
1 large green chili- chopped

4 curry leaves
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tsp coriander powder
2 sticks cinnamon sticks
1 star anise
1 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 cup water
2 Tb vegetable oil


Heat oil on medium heat, saute cinnamon sticks and star anise for 2 minutes. Add minced onions, ginger, garlic, curry leaves ( if using) and green chillies. Stir constantly to avoid the onions from burning. Saute until onion starts to turn golden. Add chopped tomatoes ( you could use fresh or canned tomatoes here) , turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, tomato paste and stir well for 5 minutes. Pour in water, drained kidney beans and give it a good stir. Place lid on the pot and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Sprinkle garam masala and mix well. Adjust seasonings take off heat. Adjust seasonings take off heat. This dish does will be of thick consistency and would be wonderful with rice or naan.

17 comments:

zerrin said...

I love kidney beans. And this seems wonderful! I cook it very often but never tried this version with curry, cinnamon and coriander. You make me very curious, but we don't have curry leaves or coriander here. Anyway, thanks for this recipe.

pigpigscorner said...

I love beans. Looks and sounds really delicious!

miss v said...

looks really yummy! i just bought some kidney beans last week.

MyLastBite said...

LOOKS DELICIOUS!

Leela said...

Oh, man. With two of my favorite ingredients (red beans and curry leaves) in the same dish, this one is definitely a must-try.

Soma said...

my first time here.u have an amazing blog with real neat recipes. i'll add uu to my links & i'll be back.

gail said...

mmmm! This looks delicious!!

Hayley said...

This sounds and looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Dawn said...

it's nice to know that there are others out there like me who eat a lot of beans. my pantry is overfilled with them.
i would love to try this wonderful creation you have here.

Lo said...

Delicious.
I've always wanted to try a kidney bean curry, but never have. This looks so good, I think I'll have to tackle it the next time I'm craving Indian!

Peter M said...

Luv it...a nice departure from chilli.

veggie belly said...

I always have lentils on hand too. I like that you use star anise here!

Jo said...

Oh yummy, this looks delicious and reminds me of chilli corn-carne. The picture is so vibrant.

Kevin said...

These beans sound really tasty!

Y said...

Mmm this looks delicious! Your other photos are so gorgeous too.

Y said...

I'm going to have to bookmark this recipe. I love cooking with beans.

MadMolecule said...

Sounds delicious! I'm going to surprise my girlfriend, who is vegan, with this dish tonight.