Monday, January 12, 2009

Stuffed Mushrooms



I made these stuffed mushrooms on New Years' Eve celebrations that we had at home. I bought medium sized baby Bella mushrooms because I wanted one bite appetizers. The filling consisted of some breadcrumbs, fresh flat leaf parsley, scallions, freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a bit of heavy cream to bind it all together.

You could prep the mushrooms, wipe them clean and brush the caps with some olive oil or melted sweet butter and set it aside. Then go ahead and make the filling and let it cool. This can be made hours ahead. Just bake the stuffed caps right before serving, these little gems are wonderful while still hot!


Stuffed Mushrooms
10 fresh mushrooms caps - medium sized
2 Tb sweet butter -
2 scallions - finely minced - green parts only
4 Tb unseasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup + 1 Tb grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tb minced flat leaf parsley
2 Tb heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil/melted butter - to brush on mushroom caps

Clean mushrooms caps with a wet cloth and remove stems. Mince stems finely and set aside.

Filling
Melt butter in a pan on medium heat and saute the chopped scallions for 1 minute and chopped mushroom stems for 2 minutes. Add bread crumbs and minced fresh flat leaf parsley and season with salt and pepper. Take mixture off the heat and pour in cream to bind the ingredients. Add in 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese and set mixture aside to cool.

To assemble
Preheat oven to 370 degrees. Brush cleaned caps with some olive oil and stuff the mushrooms with filling. Sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese on top and dot with a little butter before baking in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until the stuffing has browned lightly on top.

16 comments:

Salt N Turmeric said...

These are my fav appetizers at olive garden. I keep telling myself to find the recipe but never did. hehe. Thanks for posting Maya.

Esi said...

We had stuffed mushrooms at our feast as well!! It's a great party food.

Chocolate Shavings said...

I love stuffed mushrooms. Your recipe sounds really good, I will be giving it a try soon!

pinkstripes said...

I love stuffed mushrooms. Those look really good.

Peter M said...

I love mushrooms, especially when they are stuffed!

Andrea said...

I LOVE stuffed mushrooms. I always order them if they're on any appetizer list. I should totally make these.

Kristen said...

I adore stuffed mushrooms. They make great appetizers and are great because you can do so many different fillings! These look great. Love that photo!

Maya said...

salt n turmeric -you are most welcome!

esi - You are absolutely right, I can have quite a few of these!

chocolate shavings - Good luck!

pink stripes - Thanks!

Peter M - I am with you on that!

Andrea - It is delicious and such a breeze to make. Good luck with these.

Kristen - That is right, you can make whatever you have in the fridge really.

Jude said...

Nice way to ring in the new year.. Plus it's nice that they're round. Some cultures believe that round foods on NYE is good luck :)

Indonesia-Eats said...

Love the mushrooms.

Hannah said...

I usually have issues with cooked mushrooms (it's a textural thing) but these look really good!

miss v said...

these looks great. and easy to veganize for sure! thanks for the yummy recipe!

Kevin said...

Those look good! I have been wanting to try stuffing mushrooms.

Lo said...

Mmm. Maya. Stuffed mushrooms are one of my very favorite things. I think I might need to have a party soon so that I can make some of these!!

Maya said...

Jude: Maybe I should make more round food ;)

Indonesia Eats & Hannah - These are good, you should try!

miss v - Easy!

Kevin - what are you waiting for ;)

lo - these are wonderful as a make ahead appetizers. Just bake them right before serving.

Fazela said...

Hi Maya,
I tried your recipe and it just turned out awesome :)
Thanks a lot!!

New Foodie,
Fazela