Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Coconut Poppy Seed Cake


I recently bought Nick Malgieri's Perfect Light Desserts book. Recipes included in this book are for cakes, cookies and pies, all made with without synthetic or artificial sweeteners or substitutes. This cake is fine crumbed, moist and the poppy seeds add a nice crunch to it. I have used Greek yogurt in this recipe ( Fage brand) which is widely available in most grocery stores. I prefer Greek yogurt because it is creamy and has a wonderful flavour. Traditional Greek yogurt is made from ewe's milk, but the ones mostly available in the USA are made from cow's milk.

You could also try other cake recipes - Tiger cake, Semolina Cake with candied blood oranges, apple spice cake, coconut cake with buttercream frosting.

Coconut Poppy Seed Cake - Nick Malgieri
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup poppy seeds
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut - packed lightly
1 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup fat free yogurt -Greek style preferred


Butter and flour a 9 inch spring form pan.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift flour and stir together poppy seeds, coconut, salt and baking powder and set aside.
I used a stand mixer to whisk eggs and sugar until light and pale. Pour in vegetable oil and whisk well for 2 minutes .

Using a spatula, fold in flour mixture in three stages and gently mix in the yogurt.

Pour batter into prepared spring form pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. As you can see, they also make adorable little cakes.





17 comments:

Peter M said...

This look awesome. I've only had lemon-poppyseed muffins/cake but this must be added in the repetoire.

pinkstripes said...

Those look delicious. Thanks for sharing.

gkbloodsugar said...

I've been craving coconut recently. Maybe this is why.

I love Lemon-poppyseed too, but I can sacrifice.

Esi said...

I'm going to have to check out this book. I like that there are no artificial ingredients used!

pigpigscorner said...

They look so cute and delicious!

diva said...

this is just beautiful! love the drippy effect on the cake.

syrie said...

Looks fantastic. I love the addition of yogurt. And the crispy outside. Just perfect!

Patricia Scarpin said...

These are so pretty, Maya! I love how the poppy seeds completely transform the looks of the cakes.

Kevin said...

That looks good! I like the sound of the coconut and poppy seed combo.

farida said...

I have never thought of using poppy seeds in cakes, but it sounds like a great idea. Nice recipe.

Cynthia said...

What a beautiful view from the top.

Debbie said...

Looks wonderful. I love cakes and cookies with poppy seeds!

Andrea said...

I've made poppy seed cake before, but not with coconut. I LOVE that idea!

Jo said...

Looks absolutely delicious and love the colours. Unfortunately I will not be able to try this out as poppy seed is considered a contraband ingredient in Singapore.

miss v said...

i love poppy seeds - this sounds good!

HappyTummy said...

wowza! love the combo of coconut and poppy seeds! that cake looks so moist and delicious. i've been thinking about buying a nick malgieri cookbook...maybe now's the time! great job.

Sara said...

Wow, these sound excellent. I have been wanting to make some poppyseed muffins lately, and I have a jar of poppyseeds waiting for me. I also LOVE coconut, and I will have to make this recipe into muffins. I am also interested in this Nick Malgieri book, I will have to check it out.
Thanks!