Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Chocolate Guinness Cake



It all began here. I was mesmerized by the beautiful dark and luscious chocolate cake ( I wonder how many people are like me out there...you know - be mesmerized by seductive pictures of food!). My "house cake" for years when we lived in Canada was lemon poppy seed cake with a tangy lemon glaze. It was my go to recipe whenever we had guests from out of town.

But now I am in the mood for something new. I am on the look out for at least 3 cake recipes that require minimum fuss and maximum delight. The list of ingredients should not a mile long, and it would be especially helpful if I could purchase most of the ingredients for the cake at the local grocery store...on my way home from work. And finally I should be able to make it ahead ( at least a day or two ahead).


This chocolate Guinness cake fits the bill for me. The recipe is from Nigella Lawson's Feast cookbook. This dark and rich chocolate cake has one special ingredient - 1 cup of Guinness Stout. All you taste is just a hint of tang in the cake, so no worries - it would not have the aroma of a mug of just poured stout! This cake can be baked a day or two ahead as it allows the flavours to mellow and meld. I have already made this tight crumbed and moist cake on various occasions and it has not let me down....yet.

This cake comes together very quickly once you have all the ingredients measured and sifted. All you need is a large pot, melt sweet butter with a cup of stout on low heat, remove pot from stove and whisk in sour cream -egg mixture followed by dry ingredients, pour into a prepared cake pan and bake.

One down, two more to go! What is you favourite cake to bake?


Chocolate Guinness Cake - Nigella Lawson

The cake pan should be lined with buttered parchment paper ( I have used spring form pan here). The cake batter will be runny and once the cake is baked the middle of the cake will sink ever so slightly. Cut butter into small pieces if it is cold.

1 cup Guinness stout
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup plus 2 Tb unsalted butter
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 Tb pure vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 9 inch pan cake pan ( I used a spring form pan). Line pan should be buttered.

Whisk sour cream, eggs, salt and vanilla in a bowl and set aside.

Gently heat Guinness Stout and butter in a medium pan until butter is melted. Whisk in cocoa powder and sugar. Add the sour cream mixture into the Guinness mixture and mix until well combined.
Add in flour and baking soda to this mixture.

Pour batter into the lined cake pan and bake for 50 minutes for an hour or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Cool cake on rack. Serve with cream cheese icing, whipped cream or just a light dusting of confectioners' sugar right before serving. This cake keeps well. If you are planning to refrigerate the cake, bring it cake to room temperature before serving.


Happy New Year everyone!!

22 comments:

Angry Asian said...

THIS is my favorite cake. i made it a few weeks ago for my cousin's birthday and it was a hit. i KNEW from the moment i took it out of the oven that it was going to be a success. you're right, the batter is more liquidy/runny than expected. i purposefully baked it under the amount of time suggested so that it was even softer and i also used a springfoam pan. i topped it with icing but i love the powered sugar effect you've got going.

Peter M said...

,,,and a Happy New Year to you and a Guinness cake sounds like a wonderful way to kick off the year.

Nate-n-Annie said...

Your Guinness Cake makes me think of our Malaysian Honeycomb Cake recipe. It has the same color, with similar sweet/bitter notes. But it has a quite interesting texture!

Maya said...

Angry Asian - Would you believe it, the cake is GONE!

Peter - Drink it and eat it !

Nate n Annie - Wah, so inspiring your blog story. Time to serious over here :) Lurve the honeycomb cake!

Andrea said...

My fiance took one look at this cake and demanded it. He's very demanding. I can't think of a better "house cake" than chocolate guinness, athough I am still partial to anything with lemon.

Angry Asian said...

maya - i absolutely believe it! :) it is a delicious cake that if you don't snag a piece for yourself, you'll have to make another one.

happy new year!

Esi said...

I absolutely love this cake!! I made it into cupcakes for my birthday and my friends looooved it. Happy New Year!!

Kerri said...

This cake looks amazing! I can't wait to make it... but it looks like the cocoa is missing from the ingredient list?

Happy New Year!

pigpigscorner said...

Wow your guinnes cake looks really moist and yummy!
Happy New Year!

Kevin said...

That cake looks nice and moist and chocolaty and good!

Happy new year!

Fearless Kitchen said...

Mmm... Guinness cake... sounds like a great recipe!

Jude said...

That looks so damn good. I love chocolate stout cake and this recipe sounds perfect.

cat said...

Ummm.... I've made a Guiness cake before but not sure what became of that recipe. Do you think you could substitute plain yogurt (which I always have) for sour cream (which I don't always have)?

miss v said...

wow! this looks awesome!

tigerfish said...

Chocolate cake, yes. With Guinness. no, I have not tried it before.

Sarah and Gan said...

yum!! :) i will try and make it as well!

-yaokui

Maya said...

Good luck Andrea!

angry asian - so many recipes to try, so little time :)
Esi - cupcake would be great too!
Kerri - Oopps, thanks for reminding me. I have included it in the lust of ingredients.

pigspigscorner - Thank you! Happy New Year!
Kevin, Fearless Kitchen, Jude - thanks guys!

cat - not to sure of the yogurt. The fat and liquid content would be different than of sour cream.

Maya said...

miss v - thanks!

tigerfish - you don't really taste it, just a hint of tang in the in the cake that I find enhances the chocolate flavour.

sarah and gan - good luck and thanks for stopping by!

Salt N Turmeric said...

That looks yummy Maya. Maybe I should get a bottle of guinness since the recipe looks simple enough for me.

Hannah said...

What a lovely cake! Very impressive for being so simple to make, too.

SimeyC said...

I'm going to have to try this! I already have almost a dozen decent Guinness recipes - one more won't harm me!

Chocolate and Guinness go together suprizingly well - Guinness adds just a touch of bitterness but a lot of body....great recipe...thanks for sharing this...

Kirstin Eventyr said...

I look forward to trying this for a St Patrick's Day treat. I make a gingerbread with Guinness Stout for Christmas every year that is also amazing.