Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chocolate Gingerbread


Before I go any further, don't forget to leave a comment in order to win a year's subscripton for Gourmet magazine. Deadline it tomorrow Wednesday 17 at midnight!

It seems like most bloggers are arm deep in flour, sugar, butter and creating the most wonderful little delights to have and to share with loved ones. I am playing catch up with my baking. I had intended to start baking much earlier. I had bought all the supplies early December and had the pantry well stocked. I finally got cracking this past weekend and have had a fun time planning and baking. The best part of it all was packing up the treats in beautiful tins adorned with ribbons to be distributed to friends, the wonderful guys and gals at the bank and post office ( we have a special relationship with the people at the post office).

I was in the mood for some new recipes this year and tried out this chocolate gingerbread recipe from Martha Stewart's latest cookie book. I had purchased the book for a friend and peeked at a few recipes before wrapping it... I wonder how many people do that.. peek at a book before gifting it?

These cookies were fudgy with a hint of spiciness that seems appropriate this time of the year. It was especially wonderful while still warm, waiting to cool, on a rack.




Chocolate Gingerbread
7 oz semisweet chocolate - chopped ( I used semisweet chocolate chips)
1 1/2 cup plus 1 Tb flour
2 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 Tb unsweetened cocoa powder
8 Tb unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 brown sugar - packed
1/2 molasses
1 tsp baking soda - dissolved in 1 1/2 tsp boiling water
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Sift together all dry ingredients ( except for baking soda) and set aside.
Cream butter until pale, add brown sugar until well combined. Pour in molasses and beat well.
Pour in dissolved ( and cooled) baking soda into butter mixture. Add in sifted flour, mix until just combined and add in chocolate chips or chopped chocolate.
Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and shape dough into little balls ( 1 1/2 inch) and roll in white sugar. I used coloured sugar to make it pretty and festive. You could also use granulated sugar or coarse sugar. Coarse sugar will make it look all sparkly :)
Place balls 2 inches apart and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on a rack before storing. Try them while still warm - it will be gooey and soft!

10 comments:

Esi said...

I am just now coming around to ginger so I am really wanting to try a gingerbread recipe. This looks wonderful and I love the red sprinkles.

Megan said...

I've always either made gingerbread or chocolate, but never both together. Since sounds like the ultimate holiday cookie! And those red sprinkles are a fab addition :)

The Food Librarian said...

I love these cookies. And I like how festive you made them with the sprinkles!

Ashley said...

I have got to try these! They look absolutely gorgeous with the red sprinkles. I'm so incredibly behind on my baking this year.

Salt N Turmeric said...

I love ginger cookies! Never heard/had chocolate ones though. Colourful some more! ;)

p.s. yay! im in the blogroll! lol.

diva said...

wow these cookies look amazing. loving the red sugar.

Mochachocolata Rita said...

the colored sugar made it look sooo special! very christmassy

Cherie said...

Please Santa, bring me some of these wonderful cookies!

Cakebrain said...

The only kind of gingerbread I'll eat now (after my unfortunate overdose a few years ago) is chocolate gingerbread. As I always say, you can never go wrong if you put chocolate into it! Looks fabulous!

Sophie said...

I've never thought about putting red sprinkles on my gingerbread cookies :)! What a cute idea, they look like tasty Christmas ornaments :D.