Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pulut Inti - Steamed glutinous rice with coconut


Pulut Inti one of my favourite kuih that I enjoy at tea time when I am home. I have been stopping by at my favourite kuih stall almost daily to enjoy my daily tea time treats.The term kuih ( plural - kuih- muih) means bite sized sweet and savoury treats much like Spanish tapas. Kuih- muih in could be fried, baked or steamed.

I am still in Malaysia and have been celebrating Deepavali ( festival of lights) with family and friends.


Pulut Inti
If you are unable to use fresh or frozen coconut, you could use unsweetened dessicated coconut. Frozen banana leaves are often found in frozen section of ethnic grocery stores.

1 cup glutinous rice
2 screwpine/pandan leaf - washed & knotted
1/2 cup freshly grated coconut ( or use frozen coconut)
a pinch of salt
5tb grated gula melaka / palm sugar
3 tb water

To prepare the rice :
Soak glutinous rice for 1 hour and drain. Steam rice in a steamer lined with a wet cheese cloth or a sheet of banana leaf if you are able to get some . Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the rice and tuck in the knotted pandan leaf and steam until rice is cooked well. This usually takes around half an hour.

Cook palm sugar with 3 tb water and grated palm sugar until the sugar melts. Strain the sugar and cook the strained sugar with freshly grated coconut and a pinch of salt for 3 minutes. Serve steamed rice with coconut topping. Pulut Inti is traditionally served wrapped in a banana leaf as shown in the picture above.


11 comments:

evette p. said...

This looks similar to the Filipino dessert called Suman. People usually dip or top it with grated coconut.

ICook4Fun said...

How I miss this Pulut Inti. Used to eat it often for breakfast :)

[eatingclub] vancouver || js said...

Looks so pretty.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious!

B

Lo said...

This looks lovely.

Happy Deepavali!

miss v said...

this looks awesome! yum!

doggybloggy said...

I need to try this - I have sticky rice, coconut and banana leaf but not the pine knotted leaf - must find...

Maya said...

Thanks guys for your comments!

BeeBee said...

Maya, thanks for the wishes.. Appreciate it..We are coping with the loss.. he's our Best Mama ever.. I am glad you dropped by.. Thanks again ya.. will link you cause I love recipes.. Your pulut inti looks so delicious.. thanks again Yaar...hugs from Las Vegas...

mycookinghut said...

I really love pulut inti. Havent had this for a long long time!! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

In VietNam, I do remember we have something similar to this and it's used to be one of my favorite snacks to eat! I love how you could capture the cuteness of this "cake"....! Thanks for posting and for sharing!