Monday, September 29, 2008

Whole Wheat Spaghetti With Soy Chorizo & Almonds


I had left the meticulously written grocery list at home again and was trying hard to remember some of the menus I had in mind for the coming week. I came across soy chorizo while browsing the aisles of Trader Joe's ( lots of browsing when one does not have a list). I have been looking for the real thing but nevertheless was excited when I came across the vegetarian version. After a lengthy debate with Brad as to whether the vegetarian version would taste any good , the soy chorizo made it to the check out.

Chorizo is coarsely ground fresh pork sausage flavoured with garlic, chili powder, smoked pepper and other spices. Spanish chorizo is often made from smoked pork and it spiciness can range from very spicy to mild. Chorizo is also popular in Basque cuisine. You could make this dish with the real thing or omit it altogether.

I made this dish with the stash of organic whole wheat pasta that we found when we cleaned our pantry last week ( that , some cocoa nibs, goji berries and matcha. I will have to use it up when I return from vacation ). The recipe below serves 5, and the leftovers were enjoyed for lunch the next day :)





Spaghetti with Soy Chorizo With Almonds
1/4 cup vegetable broth
salt to taste
6 oz soy chorizo from T.Joes
4 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced
1 med red onion - peeled and sliced
2 tb olive oil
10 oz whole wheat organic pasta
1 can organic chickpeas- drained and rinsed
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley- chopped
1/2 cup sliced almonds - pan toasted

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.

While waiting for the pasta to come to a cook, heat 3 tb olive oil in a saute pan on medium heat and fry the sliced garlic until golden. Remove garlic chips from oil and set aside. Saute onions in the same pan till it starts to caramelize. Add crumbled soy chorizo ( it will crumble on its own as you have to remove the casing prior to cooking) and saute for 2 minutes. Pour in vegetable stock, drained chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Adjust seasonings.

Once the pasta is cooked al dente, drain it and toss with the chorizo mixture. Sprinkle chopped parsley, garlic chips and toasted almonds over pasta. Makes 5/ 6 servings.

And a remainder - don't forget to enter the cupcake contest!!! The deadline is Wednesday night.

12 comments:

maybelle's mom said...

but, did it taste good? it looks delicious.

miss v said...

holy moly this looks good.

Anonymous said...

Redemtion!
These soy sausages were very good and have come a long way from the vegi frankenstine frankfurters of old. Great taste and texture a hearty meal all aroundThe dish was great I ate it for lunch today!

BW

Fearless Kitchen said...

Soy chorizo? Part of me is recoiling in fear... but this looks good, and your anonymous commenter says that they tasted good... I often serve people who cannot eat pork for whatever reason, and might have to try this for them sometime.

farida said...

Looks very good! as long as there are nuts in it, I take it! yum!

Maya said...

maybelle's mom - yep, it tasted delicious.

miss v - thank you!

anonymous - lucky you ....

fearless kitchen - no really - give it a try..

farida - Nuts are great addition to this . I really liked the various textures in this dish.

Kimberly said...

Gracious me, this looks amazing.

Meg said...

Oh boy! This looks amazing!

Sophie said...

What a savory recipe! I've had chorizo many times, but never like this; I can see how I've missed out! Great way to add spice and flavor to spaghetti. I would love to feature this recipe on our blog and the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested :). Thanks!

Melissa said...

We had this for dinner. It was wonderful. I tried cilantro and parsley and like them both. I can't wait to make it again. Thanks for the recipe. Melissa

Emily said...

So good! Thanks. I ran out of garbanzos and used cannelinis instead, but it was really really good.

Garrett K said...

I add spinach and baby bellas and it was great!