Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Gobi Mattar - Cauliflower and peas


I am visiting my family in Malaysia and have been faithfully coming to Starbucks almost daily.What the....... My mother has been in the hospital for 2 weeks now and there is a Starbucks right in the lobby, charging an arm and a leg for a cup of cappuccino ( my mom almost choked on her chicken rice porridge when she saw Starbucks coffee and extolled the virtue of thriftiness). I have been here daily since Oct 4th for at least 8 hours a day, at the hospital not Starbucks ;) AND they have FREE wifi- got to love that.

There have been numerous dinner requests from family members - especially for fish and vegetarian briyani. I made this dish for my sister in law, a recent vegetarian.



You have probably heard of aloo mattar - an old standby in the repertoire of most north Indian kitchens. I have used cauliflower instead of potatoes here. This is not a spicy dish but is huge in flavour. Florets of cauliflower and peas are gently simmered in a mixture of aromatic spices and tomatoes. This is kinda short post because my laptop is running out of juice.


Gobi Mattar
Go easy on the chili powder if you are not a fan of spicy foods. I would start off with 1/4 tsp and work from there.

3 tb vegetable oil
1 medium onion - thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tb minced ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tb chili powder
1 tsp chopped fresh mint
1 medium head of cauliflower - cut into florets
1/2 cup water
1 cup peas - I used frozen peas
salt to taste
2 medium tomatoes - chopped
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tb chopped cilantro
5 curry leaves - dried or fresh - optional
1/2 tsp toasted cumin seeds

Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and saute finely sliced onions till it starts to turn golden, add cumin seeds, curry leaves if using, ginger, garlic and saute for another 2 minutes. Add turmeric and chilli powder to mixture and stir well (mixture will be dry), pour in chopped tomatoes, salt and cauliflower. Stir well. Pour in water and bring to a gentle simmer covered. This will take around 6 to 10 minutes. Check the vegetables periodically to make sure that the bottom does not burn! Add more water if necessary ( if the cauliflower is not cooked). Remove lid from the pan and stir. Add chopped mint, garam masala and and frozen peas. Stir and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over the vegetable just before serving.

9 comments:

Lo said...

Love spicy.
Love cauliflower.
Looks like a winner to me. And I really like the addition of mint to round things out. Yum.

Salt N Turmeric said...

Maya, i tot ur not gonna be blogging during your holiday. Nasib baik i decided to drop by anyway. Hows your mom doing? 2 weeks in the hospital already? Not anything serious i hope?

jo said...

Hope your mom is feeling better? I do agree with you that Starbucks is very expensive. I couldn't believe it as well when I was back in KL the last time. They are charging the same price (after conversion) as in Singapore. I just wonder how people can afford a coffee there!

Salt N Turmeric said...

Maya, Happy Diwali to you and family. Hope you're having lotsa fun!

farida said...

I hope your mom feels better and I wish her a speedy recovery! Starbucks is expensive everywhere, but surprisingly it's always full, even in university campus areas near our house where students complain about having difficulties paying off their tuition loans, go figure:)

This dish looks very delicious. Great combo of ingredients. Yum!

Maya said...

lo - fresh herbs add a lovely dimension to most Indian dishes. It sounds like you would like it a lot!

salt n turmeric - aya friend - apa nak buat, suka sangat blogging. My mom is doing much better and is home now. She had blood clots in her foot. She was home for Deepavali. Thank you for you well wishes!

jo - I am starbucks right now and it full. My mom is home now and is much better - thank you for asking!
farida - thanks!

Gavan Murphy aka The Healthy Irishman said...

This looks brilliant. On the weekends we like to grab bite somewhere and a great Indian restaurant opened near us so we've been hitting it up a lot. I'm definitely going to try this though and maybe even have them taste it to see what they think. Think that'll go over well?

Delta said...

Interesting to know.

Danielle said...

This looks terrific! Just one question...by chili powder do you mean ground hot chilies?