Monday, August 18, 2008

TWD - Granola Grabbers


This week's Tuesdays With Dorie dates as I had the features Granola Grabbers. I used organic hemp granola, unsalted peanuts, sweetened coconut and some chopped dates. The recipe called for wheat germ that I had overlooked when I was making these hearty cookies. I substituted raisins with chopped dates as I had the exact amount needed for the recipe. The basic cookie dough is a lovely canvas for flavourings of your choice. A myriad of add- ins danced in my head, some chopped dark chocolate, candied ginger and pecans would work here too.

I was a little concerned as I mixed the dough because it was crumbly and would not really come together like a cookie dough should. I hoped for the best as I formed and placed them on my Silpat lined cookie sheet. I was pleasantly surprised when the trays came out of the oven. The cookies browned beautifully and did not fall apart. It was chewy, hearty and delicious. Thanks to Bad Girl Baking for picking out this week's selection.

I did not have a chance to freeze them like some of the other members did. But it does keep well. This is a shot of my lunch treat the next day :)


24 comments:

Lori said...

my dough was so crumbly and dry too - but the cookie was moist and yummy. i don't get that, but i don't care! they're so good. the bottom photo makes my mouth water.

Engineer Baker said...

Dates sound delicious. Beautiful cookies.

Delicioso Mama said...

My doug hwas crumbly, but when I packed theminto the Tablespoon, I could tell it would hold up just right and they did. A really yummy cookie...I thinkI'll go grab one now!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Maya, these look amazing! I haven't tried this recipe yet, but you make me feel like running home to bake - those photos are fantastic!

kim said...

love your beautiful photos! :) the cookies look delicious, glad they turned out well!

The Food Librarian said...

wonderful photos! i love the addition of dates! That sounds so delicious.

Teanna said...

What a great lunch treat! Those look GORGEOUS!

The DeL Sisters said...

Um dark chocolate and ginger sound really good!

Rebecca said...

Love your leaning tower of cookies! And your ideas for future batches are really good.

Tasty Table said...

Your photo's are great! I could learn a thing or too :)

steph- whisk/spoon said...

those look splendid! i agree--lots of things would work well in these cookies.

farida said...

Beautiful looking cookies. Your photos say it all about the taste.

Molly Loves Paris said...

Great looking granola cookies, and the half eaten one looks the yummiest. I really like the idea of candied ginger.

Pamela said...

Your picture is so yummy looking. I really enjoyed these cookies, cookie dough included!

diva said...

beautiful cookies! this the way cookies should be made and look :)

Maya said...

lori- Yes, I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out chewy.

engineer baker - I had a few pieces of date hanging around the pantry for a long time and decided to use.

delicioso mama - I had a touch time packing the dough into an ice cream scoop.

patricia - Happy baking and thank you!

Maya said...

kim & the food librarian - thank you!

teanna - yep, that was the highlight of my day!

del sisters - I may have to try it soon :)

rebecca - I find the crooked tower endearing!

tasty table - you are too sweet...

steph - thank you!

farida - where have you been?! I really miss you!! Start posting again!!!

molly loves paris - I like that one too.

Maya said...

Pamela -thanks!

diva - very rustic and homey - it reminds of a much simpler time....

Jules Someone said...

Mine never made it to the freezer. They were gone too fast. Nice looking cookies!

Maya said...

jules someone - thank you!

Girl Japan said...

Goodness, does this look delish. I have never heard of such a cookie- may I have one please?

Anne said...

Those are some great looking cookies (and photos!)

FoodyGuru (Srimathi) said...

Hi Maya, Dates in cookies is a nice addition. Will make these for my little girl.I have some good news waiting for you in my site. Please visit.
www.fewminutewonders.com.

FoodyGuru (Srimathi) said...

Hi Maya, Dates in cookies is a nice addition. Will make these for my little girl.I have some good news waiting for you in my site. Please visit.
www.fewminutewonders.com.