Thursday, August 14, 2008

Tomato Chutney


I love it that I could just walk out to my patio to harvest my tomatoes , spicy green chillies and herbs to make a dish. It was such a pleasure to chop up the still warm juicy tomatoes for this chutney that had often made an appearance in my mother's kitchen. This tangy and gutsy chutney pairs well with smooth and savoury dhall.


Traditionally chutney can be dry, wet and fresh. It does not keep for more than a few days. Chutney more familiar in North America in a preserved form ( more like a relish). This relish form of condiment is often referred to as a pickle in South East Asia. The word chutney is actually a derived from the Persian word chasni.

Here are more tomato recipes:
Cherry Tomato Salad
Roasted Tomato Tart

I stopped at a hardware store on my way home from work and picked up a couple dozens of canning jars ( yup, hardware stores carry them here). I still have basketful of cherry, yellow, Roma and "big boy" tomatoes on my kitchen counter. I guess I will be canning this weekend!

Tomato chutney
4 medium sized tomatoes
1 1/2 Tb vegetable oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
5 curry leaves ( fresh or dried)
2 green chillies - seeded and chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cayenne or hot chili powder
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder or one cinnamon stick
4 small shallots - peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 whole cumin seeds

Wash and dry tomatoes. Chop tomatoes and set aside.
Heat vegetable oil in heavy pan. I like to use a heavy bottomed pot for this and for most of my curries. I find that curries do not burn easily with heavy bottomed pot ( having said that use whatever pot you have on hand, even a saucepan would work).

Saute black mustard seeds, whole cumin seeds and curry leaves for 5 minutes on medium heat. High heat would burn the seeds and it will be bitter- the whole dish will be ruined!

When the mustard seeds starts to pop add chopped shallots, ginger, garlic and saute until onions start to caramelize - this usually takes 5 minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes and cinnamon stick or powder, salt and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and stir tomatoes once or twice. The tomatoes will start to break down and turn thick and pulpy. Add chili or cayenne powder, turmeric, sugar. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve.

This would keep in the coldest part of the fridge up to a week. I usually serve this sweet, spicy and tangy side dish with dhall (lentils) and rice . Naan or chappati will be perfect to scoop mouthfuls of this delicious chutney.

I have entered this post to the WYF:Colour in Food Event ( thanks Srimathi!)

16 comments:

Erin said...

This looks delicious! I've never had chutney, but I'd love to try it!

Maya said...

erin- Great with some buttery hot naan!

Delicioso Mama said...

It looks wonderful! I think I shall make some for dinner tonight with some Naan and a cucumber salad since it is going to be over 100 again today! Our hardare store also has canning jars, although I have so many...to bad we are at opposite ends of the country, you could have had some of mine!! LOL!!Thank you also for visiting my blog and welcoming me to TWD!

Chuck said...

OMG, that Tomato Chutney looks delicious! Love the photos too ... Very nice!

FoodyGuru (Srimathi) said...

Looks very delicious and red.You can send it to the food event what is your fav color-Red.

Lo said...

Maya - I'm a huge fan of chutneys! And this one looks fabulous.

Guess what I'll be doing with a few more of my tomatoes?

Love the blog!

Divya Vikram said...

Colourful chutney..I love tomato chutney..Nice recipe..

Tartelette said...

I feel the same way about meals made with homegrown foods. It was really too hot this summer for the tomatoes to be very productive but I managed to get 6 huge ones, basil and homemade ricotta and we had dinner tonight!
The chutney sounds wonderful!

Mansi Desai said...

the chutney looks fiery indeed Maya! hand me over wit some idlis now:)

Maya said...

delicioso mama - I am slowly working on the canning. I just don't have the space for it all.

chuck - thanks!
srimathi - Thanks for the info - I have put in my submission.
lo -So sweet of you!
divya - i love tomatoes too this time of the year when they are sweet like candy.

tartalette -you are one of my faves! I had the same thing for dinner last night!!
mansi desai - Idlis!!!! You are too cruel ;)

easycrafts said...

Amazing red colour...thanks for participating

Jessie said...

Yum! This looks amazing! (And thank you for the recipe...my tomato plants are positively bursting with fruit! I know what I'm doing this weekend...)

+Jessie
The Hungry Mouse

chou said...

Yum. This sounds like a recipe my mom needs. Please share tips for patio gardening!

Dee said...

This sounds & looks fabulous! I love tomatoes & those chili peppers would add such a fabulous flavor. Nice blog.

spice-world said...

looks and sounds very tasty and mouthwatering!!!
Nice Blog!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!