Friday, August 29, 2008

Dimply Plum Cake


The plums are in season now. I have been busy canning tomatoes and peaches for the past few days. The cool weather has been a bonus around here - all that boiling, stewing and canning can easily heat up the kitchen. I am used to it as I have been doing it for a few years now but it is a nice change not to steam up the kitchen!

You have probably seen this recipe floating around other blogs - this is a popular recipe of Dorie's. Here is another recipe for upside down plum cake that turns out perfectly. Both these cakes can be made a day or two ahead and keeps beautifully. Happy baking!

Dimply Plum Cake by Dorie Greenspan
You could make this cake by any stone fruit of your choice. This cake can be served warm or at room temperature.

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
5 tb unsalted butter - room temperature
3/4 light brown sugar - packed
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
zest of 1 orange
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6 plums
a pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and dust with flour an 8 inch baking pan and set aside. Sift all dry ingredients and set aside

Cream butter and sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy.



I used a stand mixer for this, a hand held mixer would work as well. Add eggs, one at a time into the butter mixture and beat one minute each time. With the mixer running, pour in vegetable oil, orange zest and vanilla.

Reduce the speed of mixer to low and add in dry ingredients in 3 stages, mix batter lightly and only until batter is incorporated.

Wash, dry and halve plums and set aside. Pour cake batter into the prepared cake pan. Place plums on top, cut side up. Arrange plums into the batter gently, not totally submerged into the flour.

Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Place on a rack to cool before serving.


17 comments:

jo said...

It looks absolutelu delish! I recently acquired Dorie's book and am dying to try her recipes.

Maya said...

happy baking jo - you won't regret getting that book!

Prudy said...

I've had my eye on this one for so long. I love plum crumb and it's almost the same as this recipe, although the dimply plum is much prettier.

The Food Librarian said...

Yummy! It looks beautiful and I'm sure it is so delicious!! I can't wait to make it.

Lo said...

Those are the loveliest dimples I've ever seen.

I've not traditionally done much with plums, but I feel a baking urge coming on!

Esi said...

This looks great and so pretty!

Marija said...

The cake looks lovely, I'm adding it to my list of all Dimply Plum Cakes :)

Maya said...

prudy -It is kinds cute!

the food librarian - And easy to whip up - always a winner in my books.

lo - I really adore baking with fresh fruits.

esi & marija - thank you!

this single spark said...

GOOD. LORD.

That's all I got but drool.

diva@thesugarbar said...

love the pictures! beautiful - this cake is to-die-for. i know dorie greenspan is a genius. i really shd get a start on some of her recipes bcause they're just so delectable! x

Zoe Francois said...

gorgeous, the plums look as though they were made for that cake!

chou said...

Yum yum yum.

farida said...

looks so good! I've been wanting to make this cake for such a long time. I think I should. I have plums in my fridge:)

Kevin said...

That looks really good! I am going to have to pick up some plumbs soon.

Sophie said...

Your plum cake came out lovely! Perfectly baked, and the plums add a nice touch of color and flavor :).

We'd like to invite you to participate in our September apple and peach recipe contest. All competitors will be eligible to win one of three prizes :)! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested.


Thanks :),
Sophie
KI Chief Blogger

Tartelette said...

I love this cake...making it , eating it, sharing it....There was a time when DH requested it everyweek!!
Yours is gorgeous!

Aran said...

i love this one!! this is up my alley!!