Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Beet Salad With Watercress Dressing

I have been frequenting my local farmers market religiously every Saturday morning. I fill my reusable bags with different varieties of lettuces, onions, tender carrots, arugula, sweet corn, tender zucchinis ( both long and round ones) , peaches, plums and whatever else that is in season. I really enjoy myself this time of the year. My garden is doing well and is overflowing with cherry, Roma and yellow tomatoes, eggplant and hot peppers. The herbs are getting out of hand. No really - the pots are overflowing with herbs, especially the mint - it is setting off runners everywhere. And guess what folks ...all these plants are growing on my patio in pots.

I was worried of the deer feasting on my little oasis. There are thick woods ( and a walking trail - bonus!) right off my back door and there is a herd of deer living there. I have seen them on many occasions but they do not seem to be interested in my garden. I guess it is because they have PLENTY to eat right now.


Getting back to the beet salad - I first saw this recipe on Elie Krieger's show on the Food Network and I was hooked! I am a sucker for beautiful, colourful foods and this one fits the bill quite nicely. The beets are steamed for 40 minutes until fork tender and it is tossed together with a handful of roasted walnuts, some tender lettuce from my garden and a creamy watercress dressing. The dressing is herbaceous and rich - the goat cheese gives it a velvety texture. This makes a lovely side dish or a light dinner all on its own.


Beet Salad With Watercress Dressing
1 bunch beets - around 5 beets
1/4 cup walnuts - roasted
1 bunch watercress - washed
3 oz goat cheese
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


Wash beets and trim the greens.
Steam beets for 40 minutes or until the beets are fork tender ( or knife tender - whatever you prefer). Cool steamed beets and peel the skin - at this point the skin will easily slip off. I handle the beets with gloves - a good way to go if you do not want to stain your hands. Peel the beets and cut them into cubes or into 8 ths.

In a food processor pour buttermilk, salt and pepper, goat cheese, vinegar, washed watercress and process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.

I served the beets on a bed of mixed baby lettuce, drizzled the watercress dressing and topped with roasted walnuts.

Try my other beet recipes :
Beet and Ginger Soup
Roasted Beet and Olive Salad
Raw Beet Salad with Freshly Grated Coconut

8 comments:

merrymary said...

Hi! Sounds yummy - but what do I do with the bunch of watercress???? I want to try it - I'm guessing it goes in the processor with the dressing ingredients?

Maya said...

merrymary- Thanks for pointing that out!! Add the washed watercress with the rest of the ingredients for the dressing in a blender. Good luck!

~Madeline~ said...

This salad looks delicious! Two of my favorite things, beets and goat cheese. Put them together...heaven.

SteamyKitchen said...

love the color of beets in a salad!

Kevin said...

That salad look nice and vibrant and colourful!

Maya said...

madeleine - the leftovers are wonderful stuffed in a pita!

steamykitchen - I like it too.

Kevin - colourful and good for you :)

Lynnylu said...

What a beautiful salad. Beets are so cool, but I never liked them as a kid. Now I love them.

Tasty Table said...

I love love beets! Especially in salad! Great Recipe!