Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Herb Deviled Eggs


Brad has been requesting for deviled eggs for a long time. I decided to make some for his birthday soiree this past weekend. Deviled eggs are hard boiled eggs with various flavorings added to the finely mashed egg yolks such as mayonnaise, mustard, fresh herbs, relish, freshly ground black pepper and whatever else you fancy and a light dusting of sweet paprika for a traditional touch. Deviled supposedly originated from Rome and are sometimes called eggs mimosa.


I went out on my patio garden for inspiration while the eggs were boiling away in an already hot kitchen. My herbs have been growing like crazy. ...do you have a garden? What is growing in your garden?

I cut off some fragrant dill and chives to add to the finely mashed yolks. I piped the creamy yolks into the egg whites but you could also place mounds of mashed yolk with a teaspoon, that would work too. You make these ahead of time and serve when the guests arrive or pack it in a cooler and tote it for good ol fashion picnic. We had ours with a glass of cool white wine on the patio.

Herb Deviled Eggs
6 medium eggs
1/4 cup + 1 tb mayonnaise
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp finely chopped chives
1 tsp finely chopped fresh dill
salt and pepper to taste

Hard boil eggs in a large pot. Cool eggs.
Peel eggs and halve lengthwise. Remove the egg yolks and finely mash it. I used a sieve and the back a wooden spoon to press the eggs through the sieve. Mix the rest of the ingredients together. Pipe or mound mashed yolk mixture into egg whites. Refrigerate until ready to serve.



10 comments:

Rebecca said...

It's about time deviled eggs went uptown! Your presentation is incredible.

Our herb garden is taking over! The basil is out of control, and we've got lots of chives and oregano, too. Rosemary is the weak link.

Kevin said...

Those look really good! Nice presentation!

this single spark said...

Weird timing... I was just talking to a co-worker today about deviled eggs. Will definitely be forwarding this to her!

Maya said...

rebecca - This is the first year that my basil is doing well.

kevin- thank you!

this single spark - the same thing as our pineapple obsession..

chiff0nade said...

I am a little reluctant to try a recipe by anyone who cannot correctly spell mayonnaise.

But then I am a PROFESSIONAL CHEF who graduated from Peter Kump's Culinary School in my home of NYC, and I am a perfectionist.

Lobster Recipe said...

I can remember eating deviled eggs since I was a little kid. Don't think I've ever put dill into them though. I'll remember that for next time.

Katie's blog said...

I love the presentation. They look wonderful!!!

Carolyn Jung said...

Can I just say these are the most beautiful deviled eggs I think I've ever seen? And that's saying something, since hard-boiled eggs are not like the supermodels of the food world. ;)

Suganya said...

The prettiest 'devil'ed eggs I have ever seen :)

Maya said...

lobster recipe - my garden is overflowing with herbs and I love the flavour of dill.

katie's blog - thank you!

carolyn jung - Eggs can sometimes get a bad rap!

Suganya - Thanks!!!