Saturday, July 12, 2008

Gado Gado



This blanched vegetables salad topped with sweet and spicy peanut sauce used to part of the daily offerings at my school canteen ( we used to call it the "tuck shop") . As we all know most kids love anything with lots of sauce and I was no exception.

The best of part of this salad for me is the peanut dressing. I love the sweet and slightly spicy and aromatic peanut sauce(I always get extra sauce with satay). What I have here is the simple and straightforward version of Gado-Gado, made with ingredients that were available at my local grocery store.

You could blanch the vegetable ahead of time and serve it cold if you wish and grill instead of frying the blocks of tofu ( you could also use tempeh if you wish and I prefer my tempeh fried). The peanut sauce, tofu and potatoes give this dish a bit more heft and it will keep you satisfied!




Gado Gado

Peanut Sauce:
6 dried chilis - soaked in hot water for 1 hr
4 shallots - peeled
2 clove garlic - peeled
1/4 tsp belachan (shrimp paste) - optional
3/4 cup roasted peanuts - skinned
1 /2 tb tamarind pulp mixed in 2 tb water
2 tb vegetable oil
3 tb brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut milk
salt to taste
1 lemongrass - bruised
1 piece dried galangal


Soak dried chilis in hot water till softened. Drain chillis and blend chilis, shallots, belachan ( if using) and garlic in 1/4 cup water until smooth. Pour paste in small bowl and set aside.

Pulse roasted peanuts and 1/2 cup water 10 times in a blender ( will be chunky) or longer if you prefer a smoother consistency.

Heat oil on a large pot and saute chili paste with galangal and lemongrass on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Pour in blended peanuts, diluted tamarind, coconut milk, brown sugar, salt and bring to a boil. Add more coconut milk if the sauce is too spicy for you ( leftover coconut milk can be frozen). Discard lemongrass and galangal before serving.

Vegetables:
1 cup of cabbage - cut bite sized
5 long beans - cut on 1 1/2 in bias
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1 potato - cubed and boiled
2 eggs - boiled and quartered
1/2 cucumber - julienned
2 pieces tofu - shallow fried and cut into bite sized cubes.

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil . Have a large bowl ready with cold water and set aside.
Blanch chopped cabbage, long beans and bean sprouts for 1 minute, drain and set in the bowl of cold water to stop the vegetables from cooking any further. Drain well. Mix all ingredients together and serve topped with peanut sauce. Makes 2 large servings and 4 smaller servings.










8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh baby, that sounds delicious!

Kevin said...

That looks good! I really like to use spicy peanut sauces!

Jo. said...

yum, yum, yum. I haven't been preparing gado gado for ages. Thanks for reminding me that this is such a great lunch option :-)

Maya said...

Thanks Cheryl!

Kevin - I am with you on this one!I used to eat it with a spoon like a dessert when I was a kid.

jo - I had some for lunch the next day!

Lobster Recipe said...

I'm not a big fan of tofu, but I bet that recipe would be great with some chicken or beef instead.

farida said...

Looks so good. Although I would skip the tofu part as I am not a big fan of it. I like the name too:) Never heard it before:)

Maya said...

lobster recipe -
It is still hearty without the tofu.

Farida - Cute name isn't it?!

[eatingclub] vancouver || js said...

Thanks for the recipe. I've always loved gado-gado, especially the contrast between the cool cukes and the spicy peanut sauce.