Thursday, July 3, 2008

Cherry Tomato Salad


I have made this salad quite a few times this summer already. It has been handy when I have a brain freeze as to what to make for a side dish especially in the middle of the week. I do not have much time anymore to lounge around the house. I am still getting used to my work schedule ...it has been over a month, I should be used to it by now! At least I am not as tired as I used to be. I would come home from work, drop my keys and bag on the living room floor and walk over to the couch and that would be it. I would be completely drained ... and take out sushi was a life saver on those days :)


I will be honest with you. This salad is not a revelation, it simple and straightforward. It has a few ingredients coming together very quickly. All you need to do is some chopping, a little whisking and let it sit in the fridge for a bit and it is ready. And the leftovers are great for lunch...which is always a good thing in my book.

I used a tub of mini bocconcini that I got from Trader Joe's called "perlini". It is shaped like little balls, all you have to do is drain it and toss it in the tomatoes It tastes wonderful, creamy and absorbs all the lovely flavours of the freshly chopped herbs and dressing of the salad. Bocconcini is usually made from a combination of cow's and buffalo's milk. The ones that I have used here were made from cow's milk. These little cheese balls are packed in whey or water.

Fresh Cherry Tomato Salad
1 pint cherry tomato
8 oz bocconcini - drained
1 Tb flat parsley -chopped
1 Tb basil - chopped
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1 Tb olive oil
1 1/2 Tb balsamic vinegar

Chop all the fresh herbs and set aside.
Wash and halve cherry tomatoes and set aside.
Whisk olive oil and vinegar in large bowl. Add tomatoes, drained cheese and chopped fresh herbs to the dressing. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
I usually set the salad covered, in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving at room temperature. And I also happen to love to sop up the dressing left on my plate with a hunk of crusty baguette!

11 comments:

Peter M said...

When one has cherry tomatoes from the garden...nothing sweeter to eater! lol

Patricia Scarpin said...

Maya, who said that good food must be a revelation? This salad is simple and great!

love, tastespotting said...

love this! and such a striking photo...publishing to front on tastespotting!

Kevin said...

That cheery tomato and bocconcini salad looks good!

vegeyum said...

Oh this looks so deliciously good and wonderful.

Maya said...

peter m - I pick the cherry tomatoes off the plant and pop them in my mouth whenever I pass it!

Patricia - You are right! Sometimes simplicity is the best!

love, tastespotting - You are a doll! Thank you :)

Kevin - Thanks Kevin!I ma serious about the hunk of bread.
Vegeyum - Thanks!!

Chef Ashbabe said...

Simple and beautiful.. I have a Cherry tomato plant growing on my porch.. YUM!!

Deanna S. said...

Going to a gluten-free picnic today so this will be perfect! The pictures are gorgeous too...thanks!

Shari said...

Mmm, this sounds like an easy and delicious recipe! Love that tomato photo!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

farida said...

Your salad looks great! Simply healthy and I Am sure delicious too!

BTW, check out my blog, I have a surprise for you:)

Maya said...

chef ashbabe - They must be fruiting now!

deanna s - thank you!

shari - it is easy peasy!

farida - you are too sweet!!!!