Friday, May 30, 2008

Grilled Romaine Salad

Brad went grocery shopping a few days ago and brought back a large bag of organic hearts of romaine. I took a quick look in the pantry and discovered a jar of artichoke hearts and a jar of sundried tomatoes in olive oil. As I julienned the sundried tomatoes into little strips I felt a little smug for having a well stocked pantry with a wide variety of spices, noodles, rice, and jars of the above mentioned ( it does not work out that way all the time ;) It saves me from running to store for every little thing.


I have been curious about grilled salads for some time now but never really to around to make it. This recipe was created as I gathered and chopped the ingredients.


Have the ingredients prepped before you start grilling as this comes together very quickly. I grilled the halved lettuce, cut side down drizzled with some olive oil and a sprinkle of hot chili flakes for maybe a minute on high heat , chopped it up and added it to a big bowl with the rest of the ingredients. We had this salad with grilled pork chops with peach and bourbon sauce...Stay tuned for that recipe!


Grilled Romaine Salad

2 whole romaine hearts -washed and halved
sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
pinch of hot chili flakes
a handful flat leaf parsley
a few sprigs of fresh basil
5 pieces sundried tomatoes - sliced
6 pieces of artichoke hearts
freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar

Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
Wash and half 2 heads of romaine lettuce. Brush halves with some olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of hot chili flakes.
Grill for about half to one minute or until the lettuce halves are just starting to char. Just keep watchful eye on it, even better if there are some libation on hand!

Cut sundried tomatoes into slivers, drain 6 artichoke hearts. I left the artichoke hearts whole. Tear the herbs and toss everything in a large bowl. Drizzle some balsamic vinegar onto the salad and shower with some freshly grated parmesan cheese over it. 3 large servings.

11 comments:

KT said...

how interesting! I have never heard of grilled lettuce.

chiff0nade said...

I am a PROFESSIONAL CHEF who graduated from Peter Kump's Culinary Institute, and I have never heard of grilling lettuce.

I am also a SENIOR EXECUTIVE at Serious Eats website, and none of my associates have ever heard of grilling lettuc either.

But since I have not tried it I will not judge.

Louise (Clearwater, Florida)

Anonymous said...

Well.... I am a self taught cook.... and I am a professional MOTHER..... who HAS heard of grilled lettuce.


good for you...


p.s. If you ever do Hot Pot/ Shabu Shabu boiling lettuce instead of cabbage is delicious as well.

Anonymous said...

we make grilled caesar salads all the time and they are delicious!!

Anonymous said...

Bobby Flay grills lettuce all the time! And I love grilled endive as a side to grilled meats. I am not a PROFESSIONAL CHEF. (oh brother)

relique said...

Alton Brown (good eats) has a recipe for grilled Romaine as well...

Anonymous said...

I've made grilled cabbage before and it is divine. My coworker makes other grilled salads all the time and she raves over them. I haven't tried any others but I can't wait to try this sucker out. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

chiff0nade, here is a link with some tasty looking recipes, maybe try one of these out and let us know your thoughts.... I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow!!! :)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_28147,00.html

Carol Peterman said...

I have had a grilled romaine salad at a restaurant, but not tried it myself. Thanks for the inspiration, I think it will be on the menu later this week.

Lorraine said...

In April we went to a restaurant in Baltimore, MD and we had our first experience with grilled romaine. It was excellent and rather elegant and not hard to do. I am thinking I would be able to do this indoors on a grill pan, as well. Going to give it a shot. Balsamic over it is marvelous and I love the idea of the sun dried tomatoes too. And of course, the parmesan cheese. Yum.

MacDuff said...

This looks amazing. I've been wanting to do an iceberg lettuce with buttermilk ranch...would you think that would work with the grilled romaine? Or is the balsamic better? Obviously, I am not a PROFESSIONAL CHEF. Sheesh.