Saturday, February 16, 2008

Baby Bok Choy With Shiitake Mushrooms


Leafy vegetables are always welcome in my kitchen. My mom would have 2 to 3 kinds of vegetable side dishes prepared to accompany most meals ( not that I was fond of vegetables when I was a wee little thing).

Did you know there are at least twenty varieties of bok choy out there? I had no idea until recently. I have used Shanghai Choi here because that was what caught my eye when I was browsing the vegetable section at the grocery store. I guess it was the apple green leaves and firm and unblemished stalks that caught my eye. You could use any variety of bok choi here - the smaller the cuter! The ones used in this recipe were medium sized. I usually like to halve the medium sized ones but these little guys were gritty. So I picked off the leaves and rinsed them well under running cold water. I have used vegetable stock here, but feel free to use stock of your choice. It takes but a minute ( well, it is quick) to cook, so bring the water to boil first. Then gather your other ingredients and get set to saute the garlic and sliced shiitakes when the water starts to come to a boil.The tender stalks of baby bok choy goes well with the succulent fresh shiitakes. You could always substitute with dried shiitakes or any other mushroom of your choice.

Bok Choy With Shiitake Mushrooms
Feel free to use vegetable oil if you do not have peanut oil handy.

8 baby shanghai choy
1 tb peanut oil
salt to taste
3 cloves garlic - chopped
1/4 cup vegetable stock
1 Tb light soy sauce
3 dried chilis - cut in half
4 fresh shiitake caps - sliced thickly
chives for garnish
sesame oil to drizzle on top

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Blanch the washed vegetables for 5 minutes and drain. Arrange blanched vegetables on a platter and set aside.
Meanwhile heat oil in a pan and saute garlic, dried red chilis, sliced mushroom till the garlic gets fragrant and golden. Add soy sauce and stock. Adjust seasonings and pour over the blanched vegetables. Top with chopped chives and drizzle with some sesame oil. Serve immediately.
The dried chillis are used here to flavour the oil. I would not eat it. Go ahead if it rocks your boat! Serve with hot steamed rice immediately.

3 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

Was that you that sent me the lovely package of wild rice and shrimp paste???

xoxo, jaden

Maya said...

HI Jaden:

Yup,that was me.I know that you will put it to good use. Enjoy!

Rebecca said...

I added in a leek and substituted chicken broth for vegetable broth and this turned out great. Thanks for sharing!