Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Game On -Tandoori Sliders


I finally succumbed to making these cute and adorable sliders. Originally inspired by fast food joint White Castle now elevated to a cult like status of its own ( kobe sliders anyone?). You don't have to look for a White Castle to enjoy these. You can now make it at home with my spicy tandoori twist. I am sure some of you are gearing up for the big game this weekend and these sliders will fit right in. It is quick to make, just a bit of chopping and the patties can baked on a baking sheet in order to save your precious time if you wish. I just made a small batch so standing over a hot stove was no biggie, it took maybe half an hour to get these sliders to the table - assembled.

I has some leftover homemade whole wheat brioche dough in the freezer (result of a baking frenzy - thanks to Jaden) that I thawed and baked in a muffin pan for the buns. You could use dinner rolls too. Those pillowy soft potato rolls would be wonderful. I used Patak's tandoori paste here, except it is not called tandoori paste anymore. Instead it is called spicy ginger & garlic marinade . The topping was a mixture of yogurt, mayo and mint and green chilli spread that I found in an Indian grocery store ( the topping was unbelievable - creamy, tangy and spicy). I guess a favourite chutney could take the place of the chilli spread.

I used micro greens as part of the fixings. I was dismayed to find it going bad after just one day in the fridge. This is definitely not a buy ahead ingredient.

These mini hamburgers are perfect - one bite if you can ;) It was a three bite affair for me.

Tandoori Sliders
A note about the yogurt - I would not recommend low fat yogurt as it has higher water content than regular yogurt. It could make the patties soggy. I used Greek style yogurt because it is creamier and thicker. Regular yogurt would be fine in this recipe.

Patties
1 lb organic minced turkey
1 jalapeno chili
2 Tb finely minced cilantro
2 scallions -minced
2 1/2 tsp tandoori paste
1 tsp yogurt

Topping
3 Tb mayonnaise
1 Tb yogurt
1 Tb mint and green chilli spread or chutney of your choice

Finely chop jalapeno, scallions and cilantro. Place minced turkey in a bowl and add all chopped ingredients to it. Combine tandoori paste and yogurt in a separate bowl and add to the turkey. Mix well.

I preheated my cast iron skillet with four tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat. I made little patties and cooked them 5 minutes or so on each side. These patties were well browned anyways...

Mix all the ingredients for the topping and set aside.

To assemble:
I had micro greens, sliced English cucumber and Roma tomatoes as part of the fixings. Slather the topping on the halved buns and pile on the toppings. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take three to go!
B

Kate said...

Mmmm! They look and sound delicious. I'll be trying this recipe soon!

Patricia Scarpin said...

They are tiny?? Oh, Maya, my mom would kill me for my bad manners but I'd ask for seconds, thirds... ;)

Terry B said...

I have zero interest in "the big game," but I'm all over these sliders! They sound amazing. Of course, I'm constantly borrowing condiments and sauces from Indian grocery stores--like for my Biryani Chicken Breasts, for instance.

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

These look awesome! I love the flavor combination. I'm definitely making these.

Maya said...

B
Anytime!

Kate
Let me know how it turns out!

Patricia
I am so glad I tracked you down. Nice site you have. You Are supposed to eat more than one..I think I are 4 of those little sliders. And one for breakfast the next day

Terry
I checked you out too (I am proud of myself)Here is a little secret - My mom used to make briyani masala from scratch long time ago..Now she and the rest of her posse use instant spice mix. There are a a wide array of decent brands out there.

sitckygooeycreamychewy
Thanks for coming to my site and good luck!!

SteamyKitchen said...

Great idea!! love the idea of tandoori sliders...or how about "tandoori sloppy joes"???

Maya said...

Hi Jaden :

Why Not :)