Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Acorn Squash Ravioli With Walnuts


Here is the ravioli recipe as promised in the previous post. With the exception of gnocchi, I have never made pasta from scratch. Maybe someday...I find that wonton wrappers work well here. This is great dish to make anytime of the week. The only thing that takes time to cook is roasting of the squash and the good news is that it can be made a day or two ahead.

Make the sauce ( which is browned butter) first before you cook the ravioli. Keep the sauce warm while waiting for the water to boil. The stuffed ravioli will cook very quickly. I assembled the uncooked raviolis a few hours ahead of time. It is important to place uncooked ones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper – I have skipped this step before and it proved to be an unwise decision. Some of the raviolis got stuck to the unlined baking sheet and I could not get them off the sheet. I ended up with torn pieces of pasta which was meant to be dinner!!That was a good lesson.....


I made a salad from the wine marinated smoked salmon that was part of a Christmas care package that my friend Myrna sent from the frozen north!



Acorn Squash Ravioli With Walnuts

I roasted the walnuts first before adding it to the butter. I find it brings out the wonderful nuttines of walnuts. You could roast in the oven or stove top . Most recipes that call for browned butter do not contain balsamic vinegar and I found it to be rather bland without it. The addition of balsamic vinegar really brightenes up this dish.

ravioli:

2 oz goat cheese

3 cloves roasted garlic

½ acorn squash

pinch of nutmeg

salt to taste

freshly ground black pepper

wonton wrappers

sauce :

½ cup roasted walnuts – chopped

1 stick butter

1 tsp balsamic vinegar

1/2 tsp sage leaves - chopped


Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Cut acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds and roast it cut side down on a baking sheet for 45 minute to 50 minutes. Pierce flesh with a fork to test doneness. Set aside to cool.

When it is cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh of the squash and discard skin. Mash squash, goat cheese, salt, pepper, roasted garlic and a pinch of nutmeg. Mix it well.

to assemble the ravioli:

I trimmed the wonton sheets to make perfect squares. I wanted to make mine petite so I put one teaspoon ( not heaped) of filling in the middle of wonton sheet. Moisten the edges and fold it in half to make a triangle. Set aside, covered .

Boil a large pot of salted water. Drop ravioli into boiling water. It is done when it floats to the top. This takes maybe 1 minute.

Brown butter in a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat. Add chopped walnuts, sage and balsamic vinegar to sauce and take it off the heat.

This makes 4 servings.




4 comments:

this single spark said...

Oh. good. God.

Kevin said...

The ravioli looks good good and sounds tasty! I really like the use of the walnuts!

Bri said...

Yum! This looks fabulous. My favorite addition to brown butter is sage, but I like the walnuts idea. Wontons are just so handy. Oh the possibilities with fillings!

Sarita said...

Thanks for the recipe, they came out great!