Thursday, July 19, 2007

Roasted Tomato Tart


I have been very busy getting everything together before I leave on a long trip..to Malaysia...for a wedding...my wedding! B and I will be tying the knot at the end of August. I am going back a month early to get last minute wedding errands done. It seems to me the to do list gets longer every time I look at it. I have not had a bridezilla moment (yet) so I guess I am doing ok.

I have been spending more time in the kitchen the past few days. Being in the kitchen and carefully gathering the ingredients for chopping, mixing and stirring has been cathartic.

I made this tomato tart yesterday. It is loosely based on a recipe from Gourmet magazine. I was seduced by the picture more than anything else... Roasting the tomatoes totally made sense because who wants to eats a soggy tart. I didn't really follow a recipe for this. I used organic tomatoes and sliced them thick, sprinkled some salt, pepper, fresh thyme (from my garden) and drizzled some olive oil and roasted it at 400 degrees for about 50 minutes. I cut out circles from a sheet of store bought puff pastry, pricked it all over with a fork and baked it till the edges were golden brown. Spread some goat cheese over the pastry while it is still warm, top with roasted tomatoes and sprinkle some freshly grated parmesan cheese over the still warm tart.

The verdict? It was delicious! Every bite had a bit of both the cheeses, and sweet, juicy, caramelised tomatoes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maya, your site is still running and absolutely fantastic!

Sound like cooking is taking the jitters out of your weeding just make sure you fit in your dress! Just kidding!

I love reading your stuff,

bon mariage, Annie

cookie said...

MMMM! best of luck with the wedding!

Patricia Scarpin said...

What a beautiful tart - I love tomatoes and puff pastry seems to make anything better... :)

I wish you all the best with your wedding!

Anonymous said...

This was so good!
B

Anonymous said...

Tyranny of toasted tarts...