Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Lemon Rosemary Cake


I love to make sweet and savoury dishes with herbs from my garden. This is the season for out of control herbs! It is wonderful how the unique flavour of each herb is able to elevate the humblest of dish. B also loves lemon anything....This was for him to enjoy while I was away.

Lemon Rosemary Cake
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tb lemon zest
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 lb unsalted butter
pinch of salt
6 eggs -room temperature
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tb fresh chopped rosemary
2 tb milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I used one 9 inch cake pan and it will make a deep cake. You could use a bundt pan, muffin cups or two 9 inch cake pan. Butter and flour the cake pan that you will be using. Shake off excess flour from pan. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar on medium speed for 5-7 minutes. The mixture should be pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice to the mixture.
Reduce speed and add sieved flour, salt and baking powder slowly. Once the mixture is smooth and free of lumps, add milk and chopped rosemary. Pour in prepared cake pan and bake in the middle of oven till cake is done. It should take around 55 minutes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was delicious!
B

Jenn said...

This looks lovely - can you please tell me what kind of icing that is on top? Is it a simple glaze of confectioner's sugar and milk? I'm going to give this a try. :)

Maya said...

HI Jenn:
The icing on top is a simple glaze made of confectionary sugar and fresh lemon juice. Good luck!! let me know how it turns out..

Anonymous said...

Question: What to do with the 1/2 cup of lemon juice? I was going to make this as it looks delicious and I love rosemary!

Maya said...

HI Anonymous,
Sorry for getting back to you earlier. My computer crashed and I am having trouble getting into my site via the laptop...
You could add the 1/2 cup of lemon juice alternately with milk.
Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

I added the lemon juice as you said -and the cake was wonderful! I took to work for a staff event and have given the recipe to several people.

Maya said...

That is what I like to hear!!

Su said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.