Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Stuffed Peaches - Pesche Ripiene


I made this dessert almost a month ago when the juicy California peach was making an appearance at the local A&P. I was not able to post it right when I made it because I was leaving town for a few weeks, in the wee hours of the morning the following day. My friend Allison came over to have dinner with us and this went beautifully with our meal. I also made pasta alla Nonna - pasta with eggplant. It was delicious but the pictures were not up to snuff - so no post on that. I am planning to make it again and hopefully will be able to post then.

I prepared the stuffing in advance and it does not take long to prepare. I put the stuffed peaches in the oven as I started to cook the pasta.The peaches were ready and out of the oven when we sat down to have our main course. Below is the picture of the amaretti cookies that I used.


Pesche Ripiene
Amaretto cookies are handy to have . I used store bought ones - and kept popping them in my mouth..Just the right size too. It is essential that the peaches are ripe. They had a wonderful peachy perfume when I bought them but I was not convinced. I cut and ate one to make sure it was ripe. I was not disappointed as the peaches were sweet and juicy.

4 ripe peaches
12 amaretti cookies - finely crushed
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup white wine
1-2 Tb sugar
1/4 cup finely crushed almonds
1 Tb amaretto
2 Tb unsalted butter

Preheat oven at 350 degrees Celsius.
I lightly greased an oven proof glass dish with butter and set it aside.
Cut each peach in half and remove the pit - I had to use a paring knife. Scoop some of the pulp out and mince it finely.

Add crushed cookies, egg yolks, amaretto, crushed almonds and sugar to the minced pulp. Mix well and stuff each half of the peach with filling. I sprinkled some wine over the stuffed peaches and dot the tops with a little butter. They look good enough to eat at this point! Pour left over wine in the baking pan (not over the peaches) and put the stuffed peaches in the pan - cut side up and bake for 25 minutes. This serves 4 - 2 a piece.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice peaches!

cookie said...

your recipes look so delicious!!!

Maya said...

Thanks you guys!

Jerry said...

New recipe for Texas peaches!

Luca said...

:-))