Sunday, June 24, 2007

Roti Jala

Roti Jala (net bread) is the Malaysian version of crepe. It's traditional lacy shape comes from a funnel that has 5 little holes.


This dish is widely available during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan. I have missed my roti jala as I am usually not in Malaysia when Ramadan comes around ( the month of Ramadabn is also a month of foodie heaven for me). It is cooked briefly on a hot non stick pan or griddle and served with rich curries.

Roti Jala
1 cup all purpose flour
a pinch of salt
1 cup of water
1 light beaten egg
1/3 cup of coconut milk
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder - colours the batter.

Sift flour and mix all ingredients in a bowl. Use a whisk when mixing to ensure there are no lumps in the batter. I used my well seasoned cast iron pan and it worked well. Brush the surface of the pan with a little oil.




Scoop some of the batter with the funnel and swirl it quickly over the hot pan. The batter will cook in a minute or two. Do not flip the crepe, fold into quarters (triangular shape).


This batter makes 9 roti jala and it was enough for the two of us. I served the crepes with a spicy prawn sambal. It was just like how I remembered it!

4 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

I've never seen this tool before - now I think I want one to experiment with your recipe!

paloma zepeda said...

where can i buy one of these funnels? i want to try making these!

luke said...

That looks similar to a funnel cake. A funnel cake is sort of the same thing except you make the cake over a deep fryer instead of a pan.

gay said...

I just got my roti jala cup and am so excited to use it.