Sunday, June 17, 2007

Kiwi Lemon Sorbet


It is nice to have something cool to snack on when the mercury is rising. Sorbet is a frozen dessert made from fruit puree, sugar and does not include milk. It is usually used as a palate cleanser between starter course and entree. Sorbets become sherbets when eggs and milk are included in the recipe.The stars of sorbets are endless - take your pick - watermelon, lemon, lavender, mangoes and the list goes on. I was craving for something tangy and went for the kiwi and lemon sorbet.

And what is granita then? Granita has less sugar and all you need to make it is a shallow pan, a freezer and a fork. The icy mixture is scraped repeatedly to create large crystals in a granita. Sorbet needs to be churned.

My first problem was I do not own an ice cream maker. I trolled the blogosphere for helpful tips. (It seems that all I needed was time and patience). I had to take out the mixture from the freezer and whip it three times at one hour intervals. To make life a bit easier I poured the mixture into the mixing bowl of my Kitchen Aid and stuck in the freezer. I whipped it for 3 minutes each time. It worked and tasted quite good - I really liked it. I am looking forward to making it with other fruits - mango and fresh mint...or watermelon and basil or maybe lemongrass and ginger. The list is endless.

Kiwi and lemon sorbet

6 kiwis, peeled and diced
3/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup water
juice of 1 lemon (1/4 cup)

Make a simple syrup with the sugar and water on low heat. Cool.
Puree peeled and diced fruit with sugar and lemon juice. I left the seeds in the mixture. You could strain the puree if you wish.

Proceed in an ice cream maker if you have one. Or you can do what I did. I poured the mixture into the mixing bowl of my Kitchen Aid mixer and froze it. Take it out of the freezer after an hour and whip at low speed for 3 minutes. Return to freezer for an hour. Repeat process twice.

6 comments:

this single spark said...

Yay!!! You're back! Well, sad that you aren't in my neck of the woods anymore, but happy to see your fantastic creations back online.

Going to go drool now.

Anonymous said...

You're back... love your stuff

SteamyKitchen said...

wow, what a gorgeous sorbet!

Maya said...

this single spark,
It was wonderful to have cosmos with you a few weeks ago. The year will go by quickly..Maybe you will come to NY!!

Jrock,
Miss your songs...

Jaden,
Thanks!

Rhea said...

I've always wondered what else I can do with a kiwi. I usually just peel it and eat it.

Brandon Manitoba said...

thanks "K" not only your sorbet is great but everything!
Brandon, MB !!!
Miss You