Monday, May 21, 2007

Grilled Chicken with Chimichurri

Chimicurri sauce is an Argentinian sauce that is similar to salsa verde - minus the jalapeno. This versatile and flavourful sauce can be slathered on fish or grilled/roasted meat of your choice. It does not take long to make and does not have an arm length of a list of ingredients. I have used grilled chicken breast - a cinch to make. I did not write down a recipe for it ( I keep forgetting that I have post the recipes). I sprinkled some kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and some wonderful smoked Hungarian paprika. I preheated the grill to 350 Celsius degrees and grilled the marinated chicken breasts for 20 minutes. I made the sauce while waiting for the chicken. Make this sauce - you will not regret it. Both herbs for this recipe should be loosely packed when measuring. I will definitely make this again.I think I will change it up and chop all the ingredients instead of using a blender.


Chimichurri Sauce
2 large garlic cloves - chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup of olive oil
salt to taste ( I used 1 tsp of salt, start of with 1/2 tsp)
1/4 tsp cayenne

Put all the ingredients in a blender till mixture was smooth. Mixture will be thick. Pour over grilled chicken breasts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow the colour is electric, B

Anonymous said...

1/4 of what of cayenne?

Maya said...

1/4 tsp of cayenne - oopps!

Paula said...

I love your blog and I read it regularly, but as an Argentine I must say you got it all wrong.
Our chimichurri never goes with Cilantro, in fact, its a more carribean ingredient from the north of South America (like Venezuela or Colombia). I can't even buy Cilantro in my local supermarket cause its really hard to find.
The main ingredients are parsely, garlic (you got it right there), onions, red peppers, oregano, wine vinegar, lemon juice and vegetable oil. You can add spicy gound red pepper for a spicy taste. You can even add tomatoes. The ingredients are all chopped very small and left to marinate for a few days.
Just a helpful hint from someone who has grown up eating chimuchurri with just about everything!

Maya said...

HI Paula :
Thank you for the comments. I am looking forward to trying out the authentic recipe that you have provided. Thanks for reading my blog!! Come again :)

blindman said...

authentic or not, I like the cilantro in the sauce. so just rename it cilichurri or something. four parts parsley to one part cilantro is what I use, so its 80% authentic still.